Help with RAM upgrade

Associate
Son has a Gigabyte H81M-H Rev 2.1 which has 2 RAM slots, max of 16Gb so currently has 2x4Gb, so think need 2x8Gb.

However, to me anyway! which is the exact RAM so I can compare, and check getting right one.

It’s DDR3, but there is 12800 or 1600? Then DDRL? Unbuffered etc.

Looking seems difficult to get exact ones, how many pins is it? As laptop is less pins?

thanks

Man of Honour
There's a supported memory list for that motherboard on the Gigabyte website, they say if the memory works in both slots.

In the original specification it says 1.5v which is not low voltage, but in the later ones it says nothing, so my guess is that it can support 1.35v DDR3L too.

It would be unbuffered.

Laptops use SODIMMs, they're a lot more compact. Safest option is to buy a model number on the supported memory list.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't recommend it unless you can confirm it was pulled from a desktop, because they're often not labelled properly (e.g. registered server memory or high density). Stick to the brands on the memory list for best compatibility.
Found a lot of memory cheaper than the crucial, but the number is 1 digit off and difficult to find

eg what’s difference between, on the list Corsair 8Gb stick CMV8GX3M1A13600C11 and not on the list CMV8GX3M1A1600C11?

Does it have to be one on the list, with exact same model number?

thanks

Man of Honour
If I google it, the stick with the extra 3 has only one shop entry and it's DDR3L, 1.35v, whereas the 3-less stick appears to be DDR3 1.5v. That said, I'm not sure I'd trust any of the google links for the former, so I wonder if Corsair just changed the model number after Gigabyte validated it?

By the way, from what I can gather Gigabyte only validated that for 1 slot. I don't know if that means it didn't work, or they just didn't test 2 sticks.

Since this is an old board and I'm not sure what compatibility issues you might encounter, I'd pick the exact number if you can. If there's a big difference in price then it could be worth a punt if it isn't listed.

Soldato
If you have a look on the crucial website it has a ram compatibility finder where you can put your board model in and it brings up a list of ram that is guaranteed compatible.

Back
Top Bottom