Help with replacement stopcock

Soldato
You can buy them anywhere - screwfix, toolstation etc

I would only use it in emergency though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I will leave that to the plumber. Knowing my luck, the valve would break and I would flood the whole street!

‘Yeah but guy on Overclockers said it will be ok’ as the Cars float down the street and I stand looking like a rabbit in the headlights :D

Last edited:
Associate

I would only use it in emergency though.
hehe i bought one of those for our stop tap on the pavement/grass verge, then realised when i opened the lid and remover the polystyrene it was just a normal tap ....
have had to use the grass verge tap 4 or 5 times as last owner had a new floor in the kitchen and the tap is below a hatch close to the wall, even the plumber we had at the time said not to mess with it . on the cards for me to change it this year :)

Soldato
stupid cisterns we have, have flush, against toilet, half turn valves, where I'm not sure I could access with a coin/stubby-driver and not torque the piping.

yes ok -
once I had understood the required fitment I was thinking of diy'ing something with a piece of angle bracket and some notches, just in case.

Soldato
I haven't actually used mine since they installed the meter and put a new pipe from the meter to my house (they had to as the broke my old "lead" supply pipe not far from the meter (I could hear it gurgling and the meter was going round when the house isolation valve was closed!!)). As part of this they put a new plastic pipe and a proper "lever" type isolating valve in the garage - so I don't actually see the need to use my "pavement" "spanner" - nice to have it in reserve though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isolation valves below the taps / cisterns is also a good shout. Saves having to shut down the entire system when replacing a tap or flush.

Most (if not all) modern taps/cistern frames have shut off valves inside that you can access through the flush plate. The taps will have 90° ¼ turn shut off valves.

If you’ve recently done your bathroom/shower room, the water feeds will now go into a manifold that you can shut off each part individually as well. It’s the way to go.

I even went to the extent off sticking shut off valves under the sink and put shut off valves on the washing machine and tumble dryer. It looks a bit nuts but I can isolate everything quickly and easily.

Back
Top Bottom