Help with Security - Compromised Accounts

Associate
I have recently received emails from eBay, Microsoft & Amazon informing me of actual or attempted change of passwords.
I know that my eBay account was hacked and a trader in Casablanca, Morocco put items up for same using my account. Amazon was an attempt and my password was changed on my Microsoft account.
I have closed my Amazon account and thought things were sorted at eBay before another attempt this morning, which has prompted me to close that too (although it is a long winded procedure)
Can anyone offer advice /info how hacking is achieved as I haven't used my eBay or amazon account for months and what point is there of hacking a Microsoft account.
Please help and offer any advise of which device to purge and future prevention.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, I shall investigate 2fa and set that up (assuming I can)
What I cannot understand is how the passwords for the 2 of the accounts were changed when there is no info on my email account for it except to say that "was it me". The Amazon account sent a code to reset the password but I assume hacker couldn't infiltrate my email account to access it but successfully changed the password on my eBay and Microsoft accounts another way.

Am I right in thing my secure key with HSBC is a form of 2fa. If that is correct, what ways would have been my option on Amazon and eBay say?

Last edited:
Associate
Am I right in thing my secure key with HSBC is a form of 2fa. If that is correct, what ways would have been my option on Amazon and eBay say?

Yes HSBC secure key is 2fa. You can use an authenticator app on your smart phone to add 2fa to your Amazon account and I think you can also use text messaging. eBay supports text message based 2fa or using the eBay iOS/Android app for authentication.

Back
Top Bottom