RAM Team Group Dark Pro 16GB 3000MHz
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Premier Pack
SSD Samsung 960 Evo Polaris 500GB
HDD Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda
PSU Super Flower Leadex Platinum 650W
OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Monitor AOC AGON AG271QG
Blu-Ray Drive Asus DRW-24D5MT

my temps are anything from 28c idle to 80c load, i thought it shouldn't get that high under load with the cooler, also seems to be running warmer than normal the past few hours, could the pump on the aio be faulty as sometimes the fan control software says its not connected when it is, it is set set up as follows

front: radiator - 2x 140mm fans (intake)
bottom: 1x 120mm fan (intake)
back: 1x 120mm fan (exhaust)
top: 1x 120mm fan (exhaust)

what should my temps be, room temperature is 20c

Associate
I have the same CPU/cooler setup as you but at stock run significantly cooler. 60-70deg at load (about the same idle).

Are you at stock speeds / voltages? (No sneaky auto overclocking by MB software?)
What is the VCORE at out of curiosity?
The cooler was a pig to install...definitely seated properly? Try a reseat?
Guess you're not new to PC builds as you have a few posts under your belt...but somethimes even the best of us forget thermal paste!

I'm far from an expert, as only just got back into the PC building community but done lots of research recently as a result.

Associate
Hmm mine are 1.294 at stock so pretty close, it would be interesting to know what other people are at at stock.

Maybe you could try reducing the voltage in the BIOS and see if you're still stable? Not sure if thats legit advice or not.

Alternatively you could go the other way and up the core ratios a touch and see if you can get a bit more performance without needing to increase your VCORE. I was lucky and seemed somewhat stable at 4.8ghz without upping my VCORE but I didn't stress test for long. At least that might justify the higher temps a bit.

Check around on google for guides or ask more experienced people here - double check steps for your MB if you're not confident - I don't want to be responsible for melting your chip!

Of course you may also have just got a bit unlucky in the silicon lottery and ended up with a chip that needed a little more juice to be stable at stock...

Associate
OP
ok an update, just updated bios to the latest version as it fixes a vcore issue, I have set cpu @ 4.2 using 1.22v according to motherboard software, quickly ran prime95 for about 15 minutes and maximum temp hit 71c at 100% load, it seems stable

Back
Top Bottom