Help with the impossible - cheap £4k diesel auto

Man of Honour
Despite repeated, agonising attempts to force a comprimise - my 70~ year old parents in law are absolutley insistent that they want the following seemingly impossible car:
  • Auto, Diesel
  • Hatchback, Small MPV (No Estates or Saloons)
  • >35mpg
  • <= £4k to purchase

Every week they send me a new AutoTrader link to something suspiciously cheap with an unreliable early robotised autobox (was a 2012 Picasso EGS last time) and want me to give it my blessing. They got conned by a dodgy dealer on their last car (a crashed Civic with dash warning bulbs drilled out and reisistors for airbags) because they didn't listen to me - so for my sins they are now beholden to my advice.

So my question is - what is the least-worst option in this field? I know they are all bad - but what won't just be a disguised autobox fault waiting to greanade. If it were me I would buy a slush-o-matic Lexus - but they won't have it.

Help :confused:

Soldato
At 4k nowadays it's going to be a complete roll of the dice, 4k is the new £500 banger unfortunately :(

At the bottom of the market i'd want a proper old torque converter slush box as anything else will be either terrible to drive, a ticking time bomb or probably both such as a robotised manual or a CVT

Man of Honour
OP
I have tried so many times to get them to consider a manual as it would make this a lot easier - but mother-in-law has decided she can only drive an automatic and it would be easier to walk to the moon than persuade her otherwise.

At 4k nowadays it's going to be a complete roll of the dice, 4k is the new £500 banger unfortunately
:(

At the bottom of the market i'd want a proper old torque converter slush box as anything else will be either terrible to drive, a ticking time bomb or probably both such as a robotised manual or a CVT
That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to - but I am still holding out hope that someone can think of an overlooked unicorn car !

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do they insist on a diesel.
MIL has a Venga 1.6 petrol, every time I get in the long term average economy is >40mpg.

Older ones in your price range.

Soldato
We picked up a 2011 Ford SMax Auto, 2.0 Diesel. Was Cat N'd for a wing mirror cover of all things.

Paid £2250.

Now some may have shyed away with it being a PowerShift Auto but it had FSH and paperwork to rival War & Peace including an annual gearbox service so I had no concerns

Man of Honour
OP
Why do they insist on a diesel.
MIL has a Venga 1.6 petrol, every time I get in the long term average economy is >40mpg.

Older ones in your price range.
The usual list of justifications that used to be true but aren't any more - not helped by their last "new" car being a PD 1.9 Golf that went to moon mileage. I am putting together a list of Petrols to see if I can tempt them so will check it out!

Associate
A quick search gets that for me. Not sure how far are you willing to go to view/buy the car, hence out a dummy post code in based on your location.
No baseline research done on that particular car but I found it ok based on MOT history and description.

Soldato
I've just plugged the requirements into Autotrader and very few superman's came up. Going up to the next bracket it was mostly, Hyndai i30s, Golf's and Astras.

I agree with most of the posters. They really need to drop one of their requirements, probably the requirement for a diesel.

Also do they regularly visit any larger towns or cities. I wouldn't be shocked if low emissions zones become more widespread and this will make owning owning an older diesel car potentially very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom