Help with thru axle!

Soldato
Hey guys,

just bought my first road bike, coming from the mountain biking world.

Anyway, got my new bike home and started setting it up, tried to remove the rear wheel to remove the dork ring and I can't do it! The thru axle is stuck fast. I'm a little worried as it's a carbon frame and it's only supposed to be tightened to 11nm.. but it won't budge. I'm not used to thru-axles so not sure what the best approach here is. I've put a bit of lube on where it touches the frame incase it's fused or something and might try a hair dryer but anything else I should try?

Why would the shop have tightened it so much!?

Cheers!

Soldato
The shop probably didn't have it off to have to tighten it again...

Had a few Felt fat bikes that took an extra bit of leverage to undo from the factory.

Soldato
OP
Well I ended up getting it loose through a combination of lube, a hair dryer and a few persuasive knocks with a hammer. It shifted about a mm and I pulled it the rest of the way by hand. Not happy though. I bought the bike online due to its vastly reduced price over local places and they first of all took 2 weeks to deliver and the when I emailed about the stuck thru axle they've not responded in 4 working days. Nor did the workshop pick up when I tried to phone.

Bad review coming up..

Back
Top Bottom