Help with upgrade please.

Associate
Been out of the hardware game for a long time, trying to catch up with the newer stuff, still running a 2500k thats how long its been :p.

anyway, this is what im thinking, i've tried looking up as much as i can, but theres so many things out now and variations i thought i'de come here and get some opinions from people who know much more than me.

so, this is what im looking at:-

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £837.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

i've got a CM700 PSU i think will still work, unless the power connectors have changed ?

also will still be running a GTX 980 Ti OC for the time being anyway.

so one question i have is ... would the msi x570 A-pro be a cheaper option ? and does it still have the same main features as the tomahawk, as the specs sheet doesn't say, even on msi's website.

Also, would i see much improvement using the listed air cooler over, say an NZXT x63 ?, i've been using an intel AiO since i first got the 2500k, would be strange going back to air cooling ... but then, im trying to keep the cost down as much as i can so i can spend it in other areas.

Soldato

Get yourself a better monitor. One with a 100+Hz refresh rate and is listed as 'GSync-compatible'. Look at the 3440x1440 monitors. Note that the 980 Ti does not support this, but your next GPU will. If you want VRR now the monitor will have to support GSync directly and this will limit you to Nvidia GPUs in the future.

Consider a 1 TB drive.

i've got a CM700 PSU i think will still work, unless the power connectors have changed ?

Should be fine.

Associate
OP
sorry, the monitor is for the wifes PC, she's only on a 750ti playing wow classic, the one shes got has horrible flicker now, so just wanted something that looks ok for what she uses it for.

i would go for a 1TB drive, but there's none in stock on OC atm that have the higher read / write numbers, i think the firecudas are second to the WD blacks ?

also am i right on guessing dual channel kits are ok as opposed to getting ram that says its tuned for ryzen ?

Also, im upgrading from a system that has storage and game SSD's etc etc, so would only be playin the latest stuff from the M.2 drive, unless you really think its worth it to push to a 1TB, or ... with the x570 don't i have 2x pcie 4 M.2 slots, so i could put another drive in at a later date as a games drive ?

im only looking to upgrade the core components atm, and get a new gpu later in the year, but atm trying to keep price somewhere arround a grand for everything

Last edited:
Soldato
There is little real world point in buying a pcie4 drive over a pcie3. They look good as e-peen or in benchmarks but not much else. Just buy the WD blue 1tb.

Total: £95.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Dual channel ram is perfect for ryzen.

This is rated as one of the best AIO atm if you want ot go back to that.

Total: £88.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
OP
Good to know on the M2 mate thanks, i'll swap that in the basket.

i've seen that the arctic is doing well on thermals, but i have to question, as well as i've seen some other do same, they only give 2 years warranty, and i've seen some review class the block as seeming cheap and vrm fan whine ?

thats also an issue i've seen against the lian li Galahad that it has annoying pump whine.

im not really looking to overclock the system any time soon, if ever, i just want to keep things decently cooled to get as much life out of the system as i have with my current, the arctic is a very appealing price though.

Associate
OP
oh another thought too for the arctic, people are reporting a new rev3 of the AiO thats got issues fitting to x570 boards on AM4 ?

Soldato
From the problems you have just mentioned just stick with that nice scythe 5000 or the mugen 5 cooler. Thats what I usually recommend people to do. Not a fan of AIO, if your going to watercool do it properly :p

Associate
OP
cool, i'll give it a whirl :)

is there much fuss on ram brands these days ? or is it just more cosmetic than performance, as long as the ram is 3200 and C16 like the team group ones i've picked ? sorry for a gatling gun of questions

Associate
OP
arn't people on these forums having issues reaching 3600 on ryzen 5000 ? some saying they are only officially supporting 3200 ?

Associate
OP
ok but, if im just looking at running stock, is that still going to be the case ? or will it just default to 3200

Associate
OP
Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

just came back in stock, so for the price diff, i've just added that instead

Back
Top Bottom