Help with upgrading hardware

Associate
I currently have a gigabyte x38-dq6 + q6600 setup. If upgrade to an ivy bridge setup will Windows 7 installation give me a bsod? or will it update the system drivers to the newer hardware?

Thanks

Associate
I'd be inclined to do a fresh install. Is it retail or OEM Win7? OEM will be locked to your current motherboard.

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I'm thinking of upgrading my pc.I bought Windows 7 about a year after my current pc which came with Windows XP. Does this mean I can transfer my Windows 7 to a new pc?. Thanks in advance for any help.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get Windows 8 pro for £15 but also have Win 7 ultimate. I'll play it safe and do a fresh install but which OS should I use?

Thanks

Associate
Sorry to jump in on your thread but I'm thinking of upgrading my pc.I bought Windows 7 about a year after my current pc which came with Windows XP. Does this mean I can transfer my Windows 7 to a new pc?. Thanks in advance for any help.

If it's retail version yes. otherwise OEM is tied to motherboard when you authenticated it and will know if it has been changed when it performs a checksum.

Associate
Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get Windows 8 pro for £15 but also have Win 7 ultimate. I'll play it safe and do a fresh install but which OS should I use?

Thanks

Up to you really. I upgraded to Win8 from Vista so my decision was easy. Although Win8 is more future proof and does still have a desktop despite all the fuss that has been made over metro and the start button.

Associate
OP
I will first see how it goes on top of windows 7 install and if it gives me problems then i will do a fresh install.

This is what i'm looking to order, What do you guys think? make any changes?

Item: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Qty: 1 Cost: £206.05

Item: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Ballistix Tactical Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-27) 1.5V
Qty: 1 Cost: £32.49

Item: Zalman CNPS9900-MAX Blue Intel Socket 775, 1155, 1156, 1366 AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3 Processor Cooler
Qty: 1 Cost: £32.19

Item: Asus P8Z77-V Socket 1155 VGA DVI DisplayPort HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Qty: 1 Cost: £105.69

Sub Total: 376.42

VAT Total: 75.30

Total: £451.72

Associate
OP
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

- Gaming
- Some video editing
- Some 3D Rendering on Maya
- Video playback

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

- £450 and I just require a motherboard, cpu and ram.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

- UK

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

- Don't mind but i am currently using AMD card for bitstreaming audio and it works without any problems and i dont know if Nvidia does bitstreaming audio.

I have a 5.1 setup using Yamaha RX-V667 receiver.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

- Enermax Galaxy 1000w DXX
- AMD 6970

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

- Plan to OC

8. What resolution will you be using?

- 1920x1200

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

- 1-2 weeks

Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom