Help with upgrading my PC

Associate
Hello,

So, firstly im a total noob when it comes to upgrading and what and how to go about, i have a very basic level of understanding etc but i need more help so i can upgrade my now 5 year old PC and breath some new life into it.

Im looking to upgrade my PC to play AAA games etc, the below is info from CPUZ

CPU
Name: AMD ryzen 5 1400
Codename: Summit ridge
Max TDp:65.0w
Package: Socket AM4 (1331)
Technology:14nm
Core Voltage: 0.937v
Specification: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad Core Processor

My Main board is as follows:

Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model: 3100 40700 Win 32580964
Bus Specs: PCI-Express 3,0 (8.0 GT/s)
Chipset: AMD Ryzen SOC 00
Southbridge: AMD Carrizo FCH 51

Bios

Brand: Lenovo
Version: O38KT23A -AMD AGESA SummitPI AM41.0.0.5
LPCIO: ITE IT8738

Graphic Interface:
Bus: PCI Express 30.
Current Link width: 8x
Max Supported: 8x
Current Link speed: 2.5GT/s
Max supported 8.0GT/s

Memory

Type DDR4
Channel: Single
Size: 8GB
Uncore frequency: 1197.6MHZ

Graphics

Radeon RX 550
Board manufactur: 0x1642(0x1693)
Code Name: Lexa
Revision: C7
Technology: 14nm
TDP 50.0 W
Clocks
Core 214MHZ
Memory: 300MHZ

Memory
Size: 2GB
Type: GDDR5

Ideally id like to know if my system can support a better graphics card and if so what would be a good level GPU to upgrade too, also would my motherboard support an upgrade of the CPU such as a ryzen 5 2600 or a ryzen 7? Ive already managed to locate some new RAM from Crucial and will be pushing both banks to two 16gb sticks to give a total of 32gb overall.

If any one could kinldy point me in the right direction id be truly greatful, ideally id like to get these upgrades as cost effective as i can but im willing to spend if need be.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

J

Soldato
Unfortunately manufacturers like Lenovo don't want you to be able to upgrade your PC once it starts to feel it's age but instead they want you to buy a new one.

You maybe able to upgrade the CPU from the 1400 to a 6 core 1600 or an 8 core 1700 but it's highly unlikely you will be able to run a newer 2600 etc as there will not be a bios to support these CPUs atleast not officially.

You will be able to upgrade the GPU but make sure what you get will fit in the case and also that your psu will have a connector for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's likely unupgradable and I don't mean just for modern AAA games.
Even more expensive supermarket PCs are bad for that.
And this one seems to have been bottom sludge of product barrel model.

First of all BIOS support for different CPUs is likely very limited with support for Zen+ already very long stretch, because of makers wanting those supermarket PCs to be disposable machines.
And anyway only slightly tweaked Zen+ CPUs aren't much better in important for gaming per core performance.
Also VRM (power circuitry) is likely only barely good for max 65W TDP models.
That's one of the things cost downed to barely working level in cheap supermarket PCs.

Similarly memory support is likely limited needing some specially approved DIMMs, or having good luck.
Because BIOS settings for trying to get different memories to work are likely nonexistent.
On top of that first gen Zen had very mediocre memory controller in both performance and compatibility with different chips.
(at least without latest BIOS and AGESA for CPU)

Somehow graphics card's PCIe slot seems to be working only in x8 mode.
(another cost cut on top of cost cut?)
Also that graphics card is such low power model, that PSU is likely some very low wattage model and possibly without PCIe power connectors.
So choise for surely working graphics cards is very limited and to low end models.

Associate
OP
Ok, so firstly thanks for the responses however I’m no further along with what I can upgrade and can’t upgrade etc. I am not of the type to just junk a system because it’s old especially when PCs are bought because they can be upgraded etc.

so my next questions to you are this

Can I upgrade my motherboard to allow for a better rated CPU and what would you recommend?

Regarding GPUs what would be a good solid upgrade that I could get now to comfortably play modern games on the current system I have?

I really do not want to be throwing away a system that’s 5 years old to then just spend in excess of £800 when there is a chance of upgrading for much less than that.

if you can come back with some answers to these new questions I’d be grateful and if you could keep it simple to follow that would be appreciated. I’m new to this and most of what I’ve just read has gone over my head but the general consensus is that I’m being told to just junk my current system and fork out for a new one, that’s not an option and wasn’t what was asked for.

Associate
As stated above, what is the model of the pc? Is it an idea centre 720? You may be able to upgrade some of the components but until we know the model we can't exactly work out what is achievable. It does look like that the motherboard will be a proprietary one so that will not be possible to upgrade.

Associate
OP
As stated above, what is the model of the pc? Is it an idea centre 720? You may be able to upgrade some of the components but until we know the model we can't exactly work out what is achievable. It does look like that the motherboard will be a proprietary one so that will not be possible to upgrade.

It is indeed a Lenovo Ideacentre 720.

Soldato

This is the R7 version.

Looking at it, i would just start a new build and give/sell the lenovo to a family member or friend.

Nearly everything is proprietary and non upgradable, even the case is not good.

The bios will likely be gimped as well.

Soldato
Things you can upgrade would be the R5 1400 > 1600 or 1700

The GPU for something better although it will need to be something that fits the case and may also depend on if you can upgrade the PSU as the one you have may not have PCIe 6/8 pin cables.

Probably better just selling the system and buying new stuff at this point.

Back
Top Bottom