Help with Z77 high-end choice

V F

V F

Soldato
Why not, if it's their flagship. At £320 I want all bells and whistles. Sure it sounds greedy but it's still £320. It's supposed to be the best. Don't say best but things are missing.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's still a flagship. Flagships are supposed to be fully loaded, everything at your dispose. Niche is weak. It's as bad as the overkill comments I keep reading.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys and cheers for the little spat also :)

I might still go for the Maximus V extreme, heard some good things and coming from an R3E board myself, I like the idea of sticking with Asus. Decisions, decisions....

Associate
The power phases on the UP7 make me drool! All good boards but I'm loyal to Gigabyte because their boards have been 100% reliable for me. Can't say the same for all my Asus ones but they were good while they lasted. I don't think any of the high end boards are a bad choice really, UP7 is expensive but is the nicest looking board I've seen.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
There boards are the best for overclocking. End of!!! I cant comment on warranty as I dont return product.

IC3 are you any place to advise on high end rig when you don't own one yourself???

I just love when fanboys come on forums and say that what they own is the best even though its not the best...
Asus yes good quality but the warranty is terriable, my mate had to wait 2 months for his sabertooth x79...and after that time they send him same board with same issue... than after 3 months he got a new one and sold it.

If mine breaks, Im not gone bother to send it on warranty just buy a different board...

That UP7 is the best overclocker. Currently theres a world record broken on that board.

By the way money is not going to give you knowledge about products...
Especially if you are a fanboy...

Last edited:
Associate
I just love when fanboys come on forums and say that what they own is the best even though its not the best...
Asus yes good quality but the warranty is terriable, my mate had to wait 2 months for his sabertooth x79...and after that time they send him same board with same issue... than after 3 months he got a new one and sold it.

If mine breaks, Im not gone bother to send it on warranty just buy a different board...

That UP7 is the best overclocker. Currently theres a world record broken on that board.

By the way money is not going to give you knowledge about products...
Especially if you are a fanboy...

Actually Asus hold the world record with 7.184GHz on the 3770K! ;)

Also they set a bunch of new records the other day: http://rog.asus.com/183622012/overclocking/8-67ghz-fx-8350-and-more-as-rog-smashes-world-records/

Associate
moving from what youve got to what your talking about getting is a bit of a side step.

I wouldnt think you would notice much difference to be honest mate the machine you have is already epic

Last edited:
Associate
OP
moving from what youve got to what your talking about getting is a bit of a side step.

I wouldnt think you would notice much difference to be honest mate the machine you have is already epic

you might be right, the more I think about moving to a new chipset, the more I think I should just stick with what I got, it's rock solid stable atm. Just unhappy with my SSDs at the mo. I got an 840 and vertex 4 and they're both plugged in to the sata 3 coz the marvell is ****e to say the least.

Associate
you might be right, the more I think about moving to a new chipset, the more I think I should just stick with what I got, it's rock solid stable atm. Just unhappy with my SSDs at the mo. I got an 840 and vertex 4 and they're both plugged in to the sata 3 coz the marvell is ****e to say the least.

The marvell is a pile of *****
I had that board before the R4E im on just now and I remembered feeling alittle ****ed because I had a mega top end board that says its sata 3 but its not.
Only on benchmarks will you notice the difference between your 840 plugged into a sata 2 port or a sata 3 but I know the urge to upgrade is strong. I got my R4E in january and its still the best board out there imo. just a thought why not get a R4E and a 3930x and change the cpu to a ivybridge extreme when there out? Having a 980x already this is really your only worth while cost effective upgrade path?

Associate
OP
The marvell is a pile of *****
I had that board before the R4E im on just now and I remembered feeling alittle ****ed because I had a mega top end board that says its sata 3 but its not.
Only on benchmarks will you notice the difference between your 840 plugged into a sata 2 port or a sata 3 but I know the urge to upgrade is strong. I got my R4E in january and its still the best board out there imo. just a thought why not get a R4E and a 3930x and change the cpu to a ivybridge extreme when there out? Having a 980x already this is really your only worth while cost effective upgrade path?

Interesting point there. What mem do you recommend 24GB kits or better and can I use my tripple channel 1800 G.skill kit from my R3E on the R4E?

Associate
Interesting point there. What mem do you recommend 24GB kits or better and can I use my tripple channel 1800 G.skill kit from my R3E on the R4E?

You can use the memory you have on the R4E but that wouldnt make use of the boards quad channel ability unless you got some more of the same. I use 4 sticks of corsair dominator giving me 16gb but a lot of people have said how good the 32nm samsung stuff is. Again its only a suggestion but if it were me id put chip board and ram on ebay and change those because if your going to change board and chip then ram is nothing really at todays prices.
You should be able to get £350-£400 for your stuff on the bay so its not a mega costly upgrade. this will give you a great upgrade path and sata 3 plus faster ram and chip

Associate
OP
You can use the memory you have on the R4E but that wouldnt make use of the boards quad channel ability unless you got some more of the same. I use 4 sticks of corsair dominator giving me 16gb but a lot of people have said how good the 32nm samsung stuff is. Again its only a suggestion but if it were me id put chip board and ram on ebay and change those because if your going to change board and chip then ram is nothing really at todays prices.
You should be able to get £350-£400 for your stuff on the bay so its not a mega costly upgrade. this will give you a great upgrade path and sata 3 plus faster ram and chip

Thanks for making my dilemma ever the more difficult! Seriously though, some sound advice and prompting me to think about the bang for buck and not just bragging rights....

R4E board is still expensive, not to mention a 3930k and a 32GB kit. Might wait a bit until the urge has died down. Probably won't be able to sleep now. Arghhh.

Back
Top Bottom