• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP!

Associate
Hi all!

Had my core2 duo e6300 system built for a while now. However temperatures were always abit too high for my liking (45 degrees at idle, 55 ish under load). I had a Thermaltake 102 heatsinc tower with a fan strapped to it, until today when a friend gave me a standard Intel heatsinc and fan for the E6600.

Thinking it could only improve my temperatures, I changed the thermaltake over to the intel. After running Intel's TAT program, I see my temps are higher now then they've ever been (1600mhz temps are at 45 degrees on idle and 55 degrees under load and at 1867mhz they are at 50 degrees at idle and 65 under load). For some reason, and Im not quite sure how or why, TAT also keeps lowering my speeds from 1867mhz to 1600mhz

I'm planning on replacing the Intel tomorrow with the Thermaltake tower cause i'm not happy with the results i have now.

Anyone know why TAT is making changes to my speeds, why my temps have gone thru the roof and what is a garenteed way of getting decent temps without having to spend loads!?

Soldato
Quronos said:
sorry...having a dumb moment

whats that mean?

He meant that the Integrated Heat Spreader (the metal cover on your CPU) is not making good contact with your CPU heatsink. This happens on quite a few LGA775 proccys where the IHS is concaved, in this case lapping the IHS to make it smoother will help a lot.

But in most cases re-apply quality thermal compound will help a lot.

The lowering of speed is just the Intel Speed Step kicking in. or when the temp gets too high the CPU will throttle down the clockspeed in order not to be damaged.

*EDIT* maybe dump but is the heatsink installed properly? past experiences tell me that you need to push the pins right down until they "click".

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cool!

I'll have a look at it again tomorrow. As long as it stays at 1600mhz then the temps are ok.

Just had a look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro reviews etc and it seems ace. Would this help much?

Soldato
Yes I have the AMD variant and it's keeping mine at 45C under load @ 2.6Ghz.

don't know about C2Ds though. if you are willing to invest a little more then Scythe Ninja & Tuniq Tower are popular.

Back
Top Bottom