Here comes the summer. Passively cooling house ideas.

Soldato
As we're coming into Spring, I've been having some flashbacks to the insane heatwaves that we had last year and the temperatures in my living room reaching an unbearable 30c, then holding onto it for most of the night. Now that I work from home more often, I want to look into some passive methods to block the majority of the sun getting to our windows, whilst still retaining some daylight.

Currently we close the curtains and windows. That usually does a decent job at holding off the majority of the heat until much later in the day, but the issue is that even though the curtains are closed, the windows are still getting a beat-down from the sun all afternoon, soaking up all that heat and passing it into the house. I figure the best way to prevent the house heating up too much is to block the sun from hitting the windows in the first place.

The back of our house is west facing, and we have two bedroom windows and a large French door leading to a deck. As it faces west, the back of the house is where we get the majority of the heat come in through solar radiation. There are no trees for cover and from about 1pm onwards that side of my house is battered by the hot sun for 6+ hours. My plan is to potentially cover our deck with a pergola, which could have a retractable white material along its roof. This would allow us to retain daylight whilst the white material would block the sun’s rays from getting to the French doors. On the cooler days we could retract this covering and remove it all together in the winter.

For the two bedroom windows upstairs I was considering having some form of an external removable roller blind. Again, probably made from a reflective white material. These would sit just away from the window outside, so that light could still bleed in from the edges, but the powerful sun’s rays would get reflected away from the windows, stopping them from absorbing the heat.

So, OcUK, do you see any flaws in this plan? Do you think it would work? What are you doing to try and block the sun during the heatwaves, if anything? I have a portable A/C unit, which I bought last year out of desperation. Whilst it works, it's really noisy & inefficient.

Thanks!

Soldato
It's not always the sun itself that causes the unbearable temperatures. During a heatwave the air temperature can be 30+ which means even if one side of the house is in shade, having windows open still is unbearable.

If you really can't cope, you'd need to look at a more permanent air con solution.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely. I realise it isn't going to solve all my problems, but even when it's only 25c outside, due to the positioning of our windows our house can still get extremely hot.

A proper split air con system has been on my mind, but I would like to try some simple passive measures first, before dropping several grand on an air con system that will only be used a few days a year. Especially with energy prices going up the way they are, it would be very expensive to run.

Caporegime
Airflow. Sure passive steps to reduce the Sun hitting windows are good but the only thing that really works is airflow. Consider a big ass fan near the front of the house and give the house a vent towards the back so the air can escape.

Soldato
Windows shut during the day, open at night is the best way I have found, opening them during the day just warms the house up.

Associate
Its not passive but I made something several years ago which works perfectly, it comes out every summer when its hot. Inspired by living in the US.

Start with one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hf-45a-18-industrial-floor-fan-220-240v/105rj

Take off the stand so its just the circular unit, cut a hole in some ply so that the fan can mounted into it and sit on the flat lip around the edge. Secure with a few blocks so it doesn't vibrate. Cut ply wood to the size of your attic hatch and drop in.
The fan pushes the hottest air near the ceiling into the attic, the air from the attic vents out via the eaves in the roof. This generates negative pressure in the house and uses convection to assist the fan. You can then open any window and door in the house and get airflow. Works extremely well in the evening to cool bedrooms, overnight and early morning to cool the house down.

Associate
You can do something similar, but passively. Hot air will rise and accumulate at the top of the house. You can install passive stack vents that allow hot air to escape which will pull in cooler air from the outside by passive convection. In winter you just close the vents to prevent heat loss. If you google 'passive stack ventilation' there is a lot of information available. Our house is a 3 story with a central staircase and velux windows above them, In summer these are opened (in the evenings) and it acts as a central chimney, pulling in cool air from downstairs and drawing it through the house to provide some convection cooling.

Man of Honour
Similar theme to above, look into getting some vented roof tiles fitted. This will reduce the temp of the loft/roof space which will help a bit.

Hmm the fan into the loft hatch is quite an idea
I have been toying with blocking off office window and putting an extractor fan into the board in effect.

Think I need to look at some fans and fan sizes, my only issue is no power socket particularly convenient for the loft, but I had planned to put a spur into there to power our Tv aerial booster, its using one of the power over coax adaptors and its a pain as it sticks out.

Must admit years ago I had a house that if you opened the back door downstairs and the front bedroom window upstairs you could feel a thermal draw happening. Never had a house since that caused the same effect, I guess as it was quite small it worked, where as now im in a larger house and cannot create the same effect

Back
Top Bottom