HG&P, I've just come out of Surgery and I have an interview on Thursday. Need advice please.

Soldato
Hello,

I applied for a post some time ago and I've just heard back from them. I had Surgery on my knee and I was bed bound for a couple of days.

The interview is to a panel of 4 with a professor and author on this subject. There's an interview, presentation and group activity. I can't walk properly. However, I'm still determined to attend and try my best. I've confirmed my attendance. I really need this post.

I haven't presented in some time and I must be honest, I'm genuinely afraid. I've been sat here since morning and I've re-wrote it many times. I'm starting to overthink things.

I'm expected to prepare a 10 minute presentation on:
Bringing value to companies through the effective use of application design. Please illustrate your presentation with examples from your own work.

So far my overview consists of (Each point is a slide and a brief overview):
  • Creating value. The process of scoping out the objective before designing an application.
  • > Lasting value to companies. Well developed applications save time, money future maintenance

• Identifying customer requirements. Gathering requirements to offer the best solution for the time and money allocated.
  • > Target audience. Determining this will influence the design

• Deconstructing the problem: Prioritising different aspects of an interface. Having found the target audience. Offering the UI based on what has priority

• Designing an application. Value is re-useability and developing using the best tools and methods available. Examples of converting legacy based systems
  • > 3 tier designs/brief on patterns and structure

• Post Development Defining value, success based on examples
  • > Feedback Continuing based on consumer feedback, citing examples

I will be citing examples throughout my employment history as a software developer and the impact it's had.

That's all I have right now and I've restarted this far too many times.

I would really appreciate some thoughts and perspective OcUK.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best advice I can give as I just did a presentation today in front of senior SDM's of my company (although we had very very good training prior to presenting).

We never used a power point, we mocked the idea of using it to start, and soon learnt that not having a power point altogether and just talking to the audience was a both more enjoyable and felt so much better. Of course this is off the back of what we have been planning towards and understand it's different to your circumstance, but they will 100% be impressed by your confidence and boldness.

Remember they're just as human as you are, they're not expecting you to remember every line, don't even script it totally (playing back to getting rid of the power point), it's a conversation and you want to make them feel included as much as tell them what they want to hear.

3 points, introduce them briefly in your introduction & then move onto each of them, so think of 3 points around that subject and work on them, merge what you have currently maybe, but 3 points are crucial. Include a personal story, hit them at an emotional level rather than factual! - This is crucial.

Eliminate any fears they may have about you within your intro as well, ensure that they can trust you and that they can feel at ease.

Remind them of what you are there to talk about with a single line, something simple to re-iterate the last 3 points, and transition into your ending.

Timings:

Introduction: 30 seconds to a minute
Each point: 2-2:30 mins depending on content
Remind them: 30 seconds
Ending: 1 minute

Whether you take this advice, I don't know, but it's helped me massively with my presenting skills. I don't think I could go back to even using power point any more.

Soldato
I'd guess they're singing from the following sheet: link

Software guys are meant to add value to a company these days. Maybe we were always meant to :(

If it's an in-house role, the value from effective interactive design is people spending less time filling out time sheets, booking holidays.

If it's selling software to someone else, the value from effective interactive design is people actually buying your software.

If there's nothing remotely user interface based in your portfolio, or like me you haven't written a portfolio yet, then examples may be difficult. You can still point at examples of good user interface design from other people's work.

I'd be inclined to go down the compare and contrast route - perhaps exhibit A is microsoft word, exhibit B is vi. Or window's built in unzip vs tar.

edit: ^I like the three points suggestion. It's about all you're likely to get the audience to remember anyway. One point is likely to be "the guy limps a lot", so perhaps aim at two.

Back
Top Bottom