1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HGV Drivers Report In!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by shauncr91, Dec 19, 2018.

1. DXP55

Mobster

I was going west on M54 a few yeas ago and a artic had pulled over on the other carrageway and driver was having a dump by his front wheel - That made me think do any of you guy have a porta potty in cab
    I only drove a Transit but can say a bucket came in handy a few times. :o

2. shauncr91

Capodecina

I'd never have a dump in my cab, I won't even wee in a bottle. Just plan the journey and use a toilet before you set off, obviously if you've got bad guts then that's a different matter.

3. shauncr91

Capodecina

Got a wonderful day Monday, Barnsley > Newcastle > Barnsley > Newcastle. How exciting!

4. Outcast

Mobster

Can't be any worse than us having to do a double Luton ?

We can do Peterborough to Taunton & Return quicker than a double Luton (Luton is only 1 hour 10 mins away from P'boro) because they are such utterly lazy gits !

5. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

I've just got back from doing store deliveries in Wales, in the rain.

Does anyone else find terbergs comical or is it just me?

6. Outcast

Mobster

Terbergs are tugs (I drive em sometimes)

7. shauncr91

Capodecina

I'd love a go at driving a Terberg.

8. Marvt74

Capodecina

Arrow XL?

Saw youre based in Wigan and it fits!

9. utajoker

Capodecina

nah, got a bit of a bad rep my company :p

my company is Bolton

10. jsmoke

Soldato

Any tips for the training and test, is your trainer also your tester?

11. Dr Who

Sgarrista

Yet all the companies I spoke to had no interest in taking me on with no experience so I went with a PCV licence instead.

12. shauncr91

Capodecina

Just like your car test, your trainer and examiner are seperate people. Where abouts are you in the UK?

13. helpimcrap

Capodecina

HGV class 2 driver here.

Had my class 1 tests but failed automatically because I forgot to check trailer brake on hookup. Not got enough money for another test yet. Passed rest of test with 4 minors.

On agency trying for a job but getting nowhere. Not sure how much longer I can try to be a driver because I need money.... been on agency for last 2years...

I drive anything with wheels.

14. jsmoke

Soldato

How was your class 2 test, any tips, how did you train apart from the actual training, did you write down a checklist beforehand etc?

15. helpimcrap

Capodecina

Nothing really because the only tip I can give is slow down. Don't rush into a situation. In terms of judging reversing, you are allowed to get out a few times - use that!

Training was 4 days sharing driving with someone else and test in 5th day. Took me 2 attempts. Taken me 2 so far at class 1 and as said really annoyed about it. More to remember for a class 1 but same things apply.

Don't rush in.

16. Scania

Capodecina

That surprises me to read, we’ve got a few new starters here who’ve come on straight after passing their tests, I know as well a lot of the large operators (Stobart et al) will gladly take newly qualified drivers, I’d heard it was harder to go to PSV with no experience, I guess minibuses (PCV) are less stringent?

I wouldn’t give up on hgv though, you will get a break eventually not to mention I couldn’t stand having a load that answered back! :D

17. Scania

Capodecina

If it’s any consolation I failed my Class 1 first time around (clipped a roundabout as I was too used to driving rigids!) I’m assuming coupling up is now part of the test? I ask as the amount of new drivers I’ve encountered who have no clue as to how you couple up or drop a trailer never ceases to amaze me.

On my test coupling was not part of it at all so I had to get another driver to show me what to do first time out after passing:o

18. helpimcrap

Capodecina

Failed it twice but not counting first time as it was early in the morning and I couldn't sleep so couldn't reverse at all. Failed before I did anything else as reversing is 1st thing done.

Coupling up is part of the test now.

When did you pass your test? I can't ever imagine coupling up not being part of the test!?

19. Dr Who

Sgarrista

It's all PCV now (Public Carrying Vehicle not Public Service Vehicle) And the bus companies train the drivers. I can drive anything up to 60 foot articulated on their training.

The gobby load is the worst part of the job :D

20. Scania

Capodecina

Class 2 1997
    Class 1 2004, definitely no coupling required back then that or my examiner and trainer forgot that minor detail! :D