HGV driving hours question no one seems to know...

Soldato
Hi,
If i have a job that comes under working hours so 40 means i can average an extra 5 driving a week to bring me to the allowed 45hr average per week averaged over 2 weeks.

My question is I go to university this month. Does my university class as work because I am not paid?

I asked a driving company and they didn't know.

Soldato
No too sure what you mean....how long are you expecting to drive/work?

You can drive 9 hrs a day, extended to 10hrs 2 days a week
You need 45 hrs rest every week, reduced to 24 hrs every 2nd week. So u can do 6 days every 2nd week

Uni won't affect drivers hours rules but might be included in the WTD if you were all day at uni then straight to work, although I doubt it. The rules are just to stop people working silly hours really...

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules
http://driverhours.co.uk/working-time-directive/

Caporegime
The question makes my brain hurt.

If you're asking what I think you're asking, no, university isn't classed as unpaid work it's classed as being a student or in education.

Soldato
OP
I took my class 2 to be able to work Saturday and Sunday but now the question has been posed that means i can't which in effect buggers me.
If uni is classed as the equivalent to work then i can only do 1 day every 2 weeks. I've looked on the hours thing but there's nothing specific to education or what it counts as?
Basically i want to earn as much money in a short space being legal. Truck driving suited because i only want weekends and no drivers want to work weekends. So it works in theory.

Soldato
The 45hrs rest every week, reduced to 24 every 2nd week is for driving time hours registered on your digi tacho card...you can drive Saturday and Sunday every week if not driving through the week.

WTD and Drivers Hours are different. Working hours and Driving hours are different.. .one of the commercial vehicle/RHA etc websites will explain it better...

Something like this...
http://www.transportsfriend.org/wtd/echours.html

uni isn't classed as work..

no, university isn't classed as unpaid work it's classed as being a student or in education.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So am i supposed to log a manual entry of other work every time i use the truck for the previous week?
That's the impression i get from people?
I thought I'd be ok as 20hrs driving over a weekend i thought would be within limits?

Soldato
Manual entry would be rest period. (Since uni isn't work)...that's what it defaults to/ assumes if you don't enter anything

It won't be 20hrs driving you'll be doing....as I say work time, duty time and driving time are different...

Over a year since I drove trucks but pretty sure nothings changed

Sign up to trucknet uk forum, guaranteed someone there will tell you exactly what's required :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Your transport manager/clerk will tell you as they should be tracking it as well. I don't think its possible to go over the limit just working weekends as you have to rest for 8 hours after working for 11.
Unless its changed in the past few years, a driver could do 48hrs over a week. The drivers at the company i worked at would do 2x 11 hours and 3x 9 hours. They would finish Friday afternoon and start again at least 48 hours later.

Associate
The only thing that counts towards your driving hours is driving the truck. That is all. You could even spend half your work driving a van and half driving the truck and only the truck driving counts. You couldn't, however, drive the van while on a rest break from driving the truck, of course. :p

Back
Top Bottom