HGV LICENSE

Soldato
£1500 all in for your class two, medical and initial CPC.

Followed by another grand or so for your class one.

Associate
OP
Sorry I was in a rush and was using auto text.
*being* outside.
£1500 seems rather cheap considering what's involved I thought it would be much more

Soldato
A retest is only likely to be about £100 (hire of the wagon etc)

I started trucking because I like being outside and I love solitude.

I'm also a "Thursdays child" !!

btw.. I'm still trucking nigh on 27 years later so I guess I must like it.
Understand something though...

Like any job.. You have to go through the **** to get to the shine and there some seriously shiddy trucking jobs out there !!

ie: Both my mate and I took lesson together and cruised around and got jobs at the same company. Because he was quite a natural at reversing he got put on artics first and I got the puddle jumper

But..

He was on nights pulling chettles. Chettles is actually the name of the company, what he was actually pulling was a bulker (artic tipper) filled with chicken guts.

Yes it stank (chicken guts get processed and turned into Bonio dog biscuits)
You also need to climb up there and "net it" to prevent slops. Being a N00b you aint wary of what to look out for and as such he went "Body surfing" into the load !!

There's no going home to change.. Off you go on a 300 odd mile round trip !!
Nice cologne !!

On another occasion... where the trailer is dropped (under the conveyor) is in a bunded area because of the blood draining out of the trailer, so you are walking in a shallow lake of blood.. Some muppet left a manhole cover off !!

Use your imagination !!

I'm sure R420 will have some funneh stories too.

Anyway.. Here's a little clip I took the other night to wet yer appetite

Might be best to watch it on youtube though in full screen max quality as it's quite dark otherwise.

btw.. Don't expect to be earning eleventy billion quid a year for sitting on yer butt..
I earn £32k on perm nights

Soldato
it cost me £800 all in when i took my test nearly 5 years ago :p

cant believe how much is has gone up.

money isnt going to be amazing but if you enjoy it like i do, i would rather be doing this than doing something i hate for double the money.

mine was 3 days then test on 4th day. i passed first time so no extra tests etc.

Soldato
Questions like

"What's a Telma retarder and where are you likely to see it" ?

Explain coupling & decoupling Procedure.

What's split coupling.

How long a overhang can you have before it has to be marked

How high does a bridge have to be before it doesn't require height signs ?

Soldato
Questions like

"What's a Telma retarder and where are you likely to see it" ?

Explain coupling & decoupling Procedure.

What's split coupling.

How long a overhang can you have before it has to be marked

How high does a bridge have to be before it doesn't require height signs ?

i couldnt answer any of them :p

Permabanned
What does the test consist of? Other than the obvious things like driving.

I've been on various haulage courses over the last couple of years and I can honestly say the hardest thing about truck driving is operating the tacy and not ****ing it up.

Oh and knowing every VOSA regulation there is so you don't get your license took off you :D

Soldato
I hope I'm not tempting providence here but I've only been stopped by VOSA ONCE in the passed 20 years.

That was last year when I had just overtook another wagon and he flashed me in.. I switched my lights off and on to say thanks and a headlight bulb blew.. Just as a VOSA car had overtook me !!

Good job we carry spares and tools !

Caporegime
I enjoy driving and been outside. Been alone doesnt bother me. Its not like you never meet anyone ever.

Two important things that many a driver I know hate!!

I paid for my class 2 (LGV C) and it cost me about £700, back in 1996!

A subsequent employer put me through my class 1 (LGV C+E) and I've not looked back (well, I work for Stobart, but hey!!) I've avoided dirty work over the years where possible for the reasons Outcast outlines, not had any issues with VOSA and enjoy the job.

Been at work since 3am, at my second drop sat with my feet up waiting to get into an NHS distribution centre in Rugby...

Next load is Lutterworth to Warrington, then Warrington to Manchester and finally Manchester area back to my depot at Stoke, planned 18:00 finish, 9hrs off and back in again at 3am...

Sure you want to do it???

As for stories, I don't know where to start although cooling down some thieves by "accidentally" locking them in a refrigerated trailer and letting them out many miles down the road will always make me smile when thinking back.....

A video I made when bored last year.....

Last edited:
Associate
Unless you are very very lucky be prepared to do the crap jobs (via agency mainly) at first.

Its the catch 22 cant get a job without experience and cant get experience without a job. Lots of companies take the p now and with the spy in the cab (no longer the old paper tacho ) and modern fleets having tracking and phone in cab you are never out of reach from the transport office asking you what you are doing how long its going to take you to get to the next drop...

I am not saying that you dont have an element of freedom, but its much more regulated now whilst you will never earn a fantastic wage (well not unless you get extra quals and work for the major Oil companies) it is preferable than sitting in an office or working inside a factory.

Another point as said before dont expect to do a 9-5 job you will be up at stupid times in the morning cold and tired to take a unit to wherever. And you can always count on things to go wrong (none of which will be your fault but will be made out to be)

After all that if you want to go for it then do so as long as your eyes are open to the potential pitfalls.. As for me I wouldn't change the job for anything. Good luck in what ever you decide

Associate
The problem is pay rates often in the single digits between £7 and £9 an hour, it might cost over double to get a class one licence but this agency only pays around 10% more for the multidrop work compared to class 2. Overtime will see you into the double digits but often still under £12 an hour in many cases, weekends often flat rate, breaks usually deducted meaning total duty time often in excess of 55 - 65 hours, having to knock out 15 hours between 05:30 and 20:30 on a Saturday then in on a Sunday 06:00 until 14:00 to bring home a modest £320 a week ish can be annoying as is waiting for start times over the phone each day and on days off etc.

My advice would be go straight to class one and apply to firms directly such as stobarts who will give you an assesment and be flexible as you might just have to move for a decent full time job.

Back
Top Bottom