Hi All - requesting upgrade advice as been out of the loop for ages

Associate
Hi All,

I've had a great rig for a long period of time. Bought from a lovely person on this forums back in 2011!

I have a birthday coming up so an opportunity to consider an upgrade or reset with a new rig but I've been out of the loop on developments so much that I don't have a clue right now beyond looking at the OCuk prebuilts to see what 'must' be good cos of the prices lol.

So I don't put the machine under much stress as I don't do any rendering, no streaming - basically just play Overwatch and will play OW2 when it's out (I'm old so no time to play latest greatest AAA titles lol) so I don't think it needs to be a monster but I like that this current rig lasted so long.

This is the current rig, taken from his original sale post lol:

i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz with 1.35v
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
16GB Mushkin Blackline 1600mhz 1.5v
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
EVGA GTX580 1.5GB
X-FI Titanium PCIE
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Silverstone TJ07 in mint condition

Watercooling -

EK Supreme Full Nickel CPU Block with Easymount Kit and 1155 mounting kit
EK GTX580+ (EN) Acetal/Nickel GPU Block
EK GTX580 Backplate (Black)
Laing DDC Ultra with XSPC Top V3
Phobya Balancer 150 Res (Black Nickel)
Thermochill TA120.4 Radiator been flushed properly
5 x Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control Fans (been sprayed but not a good job, one has a fin missing)
Silver Kill Coil
Bitspower Compression fittings (Black)
Braided cables (Red & Black), 1 x 24p, 1 x 8p, 1 x 8p PCIE, 1 x 6p PCIE

---

I've not maintained the WC system over the time which is bad I know but life gets in the way. I plan to take a closer look at it this or next weekend but I'm open to trying to incorporate the upgrades into the WC system or go air cool for simplicity.

I understand there are some new intel cpu coming out next month ppl are excited about?

Is it worth a cpu/mobo/gfx/ram upgrade?

Shall I just do the gfx card to a 3070?

I have up to around £2k but obv open to spending a fraction of it if it's just the gfx card I should do. However, I do like the idea of boosting this up again for another good period of time...

Don't need HDD, OS, Key/Mouse, monitor.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight in advance...

Associate
OP
What resoloution are you gaming at ?

Do you want to be modding your loop.

Hi Thanks.

I have a LG 27GL850 which atm isn't working very well with this gfx card so the upgrade is needed at minimum for that. I'd like to make the most of what it can offer of 144hz at its max res 2560x1440.

In terms of modding the loop, you mean changing out blocks etc? I feel I would be open to having a go. I presume the connectors would still be applicable if I can get matching EK blocks for the items I upgrade to and can add tubing as required. It's not on view so I don't need anything fancy in there.

Man of Honour
If your open to doing the loop then gpu first but adding a waterblock and fittings will add £100 +

New pc
3070 £800
5600x £320
B550 motherboard £150
Psu £100
Case £100
M2 1tb £95
Memory 32gb £150
Cpu cooler £50.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you saying that the current case/PSU wouldn't be sufficient and I would need new ones to run the set up with B550/5600x?

Or have I misunderstood and your suggestion is that if I work with the existing and modify the loop I can use those upgrades and add the £100 for new blocks?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you saying that the current case/PSU wouldn't be sufficient and I would need new ones to run the set up with B550/5600x?

Or have I misunderstood and your suggestion is that if I work with the existing and modify the loop I can use those upgrades and add the £100 for new blocks?
Im just giving you options so you can compare a new system or partial upgrades costs.

Maybe consider selling your old system but its up to you.

Back
Top Bottom