high 6700k temps

Soldato
70c is a sensible temp to aim for. There are guides out there stating 80-85c is fine, I'm sure it is for benching but it seems way to high if you're gaming for extended periods of time.

Going by the previous generation chips the best 6700k's will clock 4.7Ghz @ 1.3v or less. They'll be as rare as hens teeth but gives you an idea to how well your chip compares.

I have a delidded 3770k under custom water. I can push about 1.34v through it before temps become insane during stress testing. I haven't compared so I don't know for sure, but I would take a pretty good guess at Ivy being more forgiving in terms of voltage/temp with it being a 22nm chip.

If you start with a low multiplier and work your way up, you'll find the point where you need to bump the voltage quite a bit to maintain stability. At that point look at the temp, if you have the headroom go for it, if not back off and drop back down to the previous peg.

The silicon lottery sucks sometimes :(

Last edited:

los

los

Associate
Ok thanks for that, at least I have an aim now, I see all different figures everywhere!
According Intel it's 64 for the 6770k and 71 for the 6770 which seems odd and low.

Soldato
No probs man. I think the main reason for so much variation is with every new generation Intel churn out, overclocking potential drops compared to the previous gen. Those who sold their 4.8Ghz 4770 & 4790k's won't be happy settling with a 4.6GHz 6700k, so they crank the voltage up to compensate. Lower clock speed while maybe still faster than the previous gen, is a backwards way of thinking to the overclocking community.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just a quick update, Ive finally solved the heat issue. I delidded again but this time I didnt seal the cpu back up, Im just using the motherboards clamp to hold it in place. Anyway the sealant must have been lifting the cpus heat spreader thing from the die slightly. Im now getting max temps in the mid 60s and thats with both cpu and gpu being stressed.
aaahhhhhhhhhh sorted.

Back
Top Bottom