High Airflow case fans

Soldato
One thing I've noticed since I installed my Ryzen 1700 is the side of my case seems to be warmer than when my old 3570k was in.

Now I'm using an old 2008 Thermaltake Armour case, and I've since removed the side 250mm fan to accommodate a Noctua nh-d14.

I checked the main exhaust fan at the back and it doesn't seem to output much heat, so maybe if I replace this I might improve things some what.

Any recommendation for a good 120x120mm exhaust fan for shifting lots of heat? What about this one?

Would be nice to replace the missing 250mm side intake fan too but... I noticed you cant buy 250mm fans anymore. Plus it would have to be really thin as there isn't much clearance with the Noctua sitting behind it.

---

Also the top fan on the case website it says it's 90mm but OC's only have 92mm fans?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can recommend these for exhaust (I have a 140mm version):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £50.67
(includes shipping: £8.70)

I'd stick with the 1300 RPM unless you have a fan controller to adjust when idling.

Bear in mind that if the rear exhaust grille on your case is an obstructive one, then it can severely limit any benefits from a better fan. The best ones are simply open with old-style rings fan-guard, like the Corsair 540 Air has for example.

Soldato
OP
Can recommend these for exhaust (I have a 140mm version):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £50.67
(includes shipping: £8.70)

I'd stick with the 1300 RPM unless you have a fan controller to adjust when idling.

Bear in mind that if the rear exhaust grille on your case is an obstructive one, then it can severely limit any benefits from a better fan. The best ones are simply open with old-style rings fan-guard, like the Corsair 540 Air has for example.

Thanks for that mate. Yes, my exhaust grille is an obstructive one. But currently when I put my hand at the back of the case, the airflow coming out the exhaust is very low.

With my setup, the exhaust fan is basically the main fan for removing heat from the case. I had to remove my side fan as it obstructed my Noctua so I need something that will shift the air as best as I can.

Do these noise blocker fans shift more air than the Corsair?

---

In reality it is my GPU that is heating up the side of the case. As it is a windforce cooler so all th hot air is being dumped in side the case.

---

Still do you think it's worth me upgrading my exhaust fan? I literally have a generic 120mm fan in there at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I actually have no idea if this fan I bought will even fit. I've checked the manual for my case and it shows the fan as removable, but it uses clip retention rather than holes. Now there are holes but will they line up is the question....

Soldato
Go 140mm fans, my 4x900rpm 140 fans are controlled by the mobo Bios.

3xfans shut down at idle and one idles at 500rpm.

When pc is at load fans go up to 800rpm very quiet as well they were only £9 each job done.

Soldato
Armor is old and not designed for modern cooling / airflow needs.
Front (intake) 120mm (I think 3x 120mm can be installed .. maybe 4x 120mm or 3x 140mm? Remove all HDD and optical drive trays.)
Side (intake) 250mm
Rear (exhaust) 120mm (I would modify the back so it is mostly vent by cutting much of it out .. area by PCIe sockets and existing 120 & 90mm vents)
Rear (exhaust) 90mm
Top (exhaust) 90mm​
You might find this link helpful. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Back
Top Bottom