High GPU Usage

Associate
I've recently upgraded my computer and since then my GPU usage has been extremely high when I try running game. Which has caused my games to freeze up or make my computer unusable? Furthermore, I am not playing typically high requirement games so I am not sure why the usage is so high. I am unable to play the games on the same graphics settings that I had before I upgraded which makes the upgrade feel pointless.

I currently have:
CPU: i5 10600k
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 970

I upgraded the RAM, Motherboard and CPU.

If anyone has any idea on how to solve this issue that would be great and I am happy to give more information if it is needed.

Soldato
What games are we talking?

970 is getting on a bit now. Still a good older 1080p GPU though. Possible your CPU being more capable, it’s now bottle necked by the GPU?

Although that wouldn’t explain why your getting less / lower FPS performance... Did you do a clean Windows install when replacing the cpu mb ram?

Have you uninstalled any old drivers, chipset drivers etc... then ensure you have the latest Intel chipset drivers and Nvidia graphics drivers?

Associate
Try disabling Window's Game Mode, that can have some funny effects- search for it in the search bar. May not help, but from what I've seen, most people disable it anyway.

I think the new chip is able to supply more frames to the GPU now, hence the higher usage. I guess you were CPU limited before- what were you running before you upgraded, and what resolutions?
A 970 has been around a while, there's a chance the thermal paste has turned to dust, and it can't dump the extra heat from the extra fps very well.

Associate
OP
Some of the games that are being affected are rainbow six, 7 days to die and farming sim 19.

I had to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 when I upgraded.

I haven't uninstalled any old drivers I don't think, the drivers for the GPU should be up to date but I'm not sure about the CPU.

Before I had an i7 4760k and 16GB of ram.

I haven't replaced the thermal paste on the GPU cause I didn't know it had any so its 6 years old now.

Turning game mode off hasn't changed it.

Man of Honour
I'd re-install all the drivers before you do anything else, especially chipset. How does the PC benchmark, is the CPU and graphics card getting the scores they should? Did you set your RAM to run faster than stock?

Associate
OP
Where exacty would I get drivers for the CPU cause I'm not sure what I'm looking for here? Also, I've just run a benchmark test but not sure what to make of the results and I haven't made any changes to the ram.

Associate
OP
I downloaded a software called nova bench it gave an overall score of 2622.
CPU: 1406
Ram: 306
GPU: 842
Disk: 68

Downloading the Chipset appears to have made a small difference GPU usage from 90% to 80%

Associate
OP
I haven't had a problem with crashing its just stuttering if I try and do something.

I doubt its the CPU given I've just got a brand new one that considerably better than my previous.

The GPU usage is high, not low.

Soldato
The GPU usage is high, not low.

High GPU usage is what you want :)

If its only running at 80% then something is holding it back or game settings are too low and can be turned up.

what cpu did you have before upgrade?

Its possible that you were getting low gpu usage as cpu was the bottleneck....but now its the GPU thats the bottleneck

Agree though that you shouldnt be getting less fps than before but high gpu usage is not the issue

Soldato
Yeah as others have said, the GPU usage isn't a problem itself, it's supposed to be used...

So looking at Novabench scores, your system CPU and GPU score wise seems bang on with everyone elses 10600k and 970.

Are you actually experiencing FPS drops (lower than expected for a 970 obviously), crashes/freezing since upgrading your components? Seems odd

Associate
OP
Yes I can be doing something and suddenly the GPU usage will hit 100-95% and then I can't do anything and whatever I'm playing becomes a slide show but the FPS doesn't drop low but to like 50. Only other thing I thought it might be is the PSU hasn't got enough power.

Man of Honour
Do you have a spare HDD or SSD you could try installing Windows on? Just to rule that out? (good idea to back up your stuff first btw).

Back
Top Bottom