High refresh 2560*1440 - spec request

Soldato
I'm looking for a high refresh (144hz+) monitor, 27" 1440p. I would like variable refresh and I assume freesync won't work work a 1080ti? So, would need to be Gsync.

Any suggestions? I'm particularly interested in recommendations based on personal experiences.

TIA

Associate
I posted this is in a similar thread the other day so apologies for any deja vu! I recently bought an Acer Predator XB271HU to replace Samsung 40" UHD TV that I'd been using for the last 18 months. I was nervous about dropping down in size so much and losing the ridiculous brightness and contrast levels you get from the particular model I was using, but I've got a number of friends who swear that high refresh rates are worth it over anything else.

I won't lie, I do miss having the extra real estate of a large 4k screen but the minute you switch your desktop to 144hz and the mouse pointer just gliiiiiiiides across the screen you do immediately get a sense of what's in-store for gaming. In games movement feels a lot smoother and more responsive - I think I noticed the difference most when I tried playing a game that I'd gotten used to at 120hz on my son's PC at 60hz. That was when I realised I wasn't going back :)

Soldato
Dell S2716DG is what I have, and it truly is a stunning monitor. 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync. Out of the box is goes need calibrating properly to get the most out of it (something I am yet to do). But even just setting it up manually to something you are happy with it does look stunning. Very responsive monitor.

Soldato
I posted this is in a similar thread the other day so apologies for any deja vu! I recently bought an Acer Predator XB271HU to replace Samsung 40" UHD TV that I'd been using for the last 18 months.

Been thinking of doing the same (Going from a 40" UHD TV), I've never had a TN monitor though so not sure what to expect.
Is the colour difference huge or just noticeable?

Soldato
OP
Dell S2716DG is £479.95
Acer XB271HU is £599.99

Are the other 21fps worth £120? Does the Acer have the edge?

Edit: the above is a comparison of TN versus IPS. The Acer TN panel is the same price as the Dell TN.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Don't know about the Acer but the S2716DG was ~£430 - 450 up until 2 weeks ago. It's jumped up in a few places (Dell had it for £450 for a long time and now it's jumped to over £600, closer to its "original" price of £800. )

Must be something to do with Black Friday :confused: ;)

Associate
Been thinking of doing the same (Going from a 40" UHD TV), I've never had a TN monitor though so not sure what to expect.
Is the colour difference huge or just noticeable?

The model I switched to is the IPS version so colour accuracy actually improved over the TV - still not as bright but it does help!

Soldato
OP
I think I'm settled on the Dell screen as I prefer a TN panel for high refresh and the Acer panel has an overclock whereas the Dell is native 144.

Now the big dilemma is can I really buy now when black Friday is so close. :eek:

Soldato
I think I'm settled on the Dell screen as I prefer a TN panel for high refresh and the Acer panel has an overclock whereas the Dell is native 144.

Now the big dilemma is can I really buy now when black Friday is so close. :eek:
The Acer XB271HU is native 144Hz and overclockers to 165Hz.

Back
Top Bottom