Highs and Lows of 2008?

Soldato
Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ;)

This year has been pretty fantastic. I've had two sets of amazing housemates [/gay] and have met many new friends. The low point was missing out on a first class degree by a literal whisker *shakes fist at the moon*. I'm never going to stop being bitter about that.

What uni was that from Nitefly? What percentage did you get overall?

Edit: can't believe I didn't put our glorious CL and Prem victories on my highs list, one of the best moments of the year!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Good

Moved house, to a very nice 4 bed 2 bath apt. Previous house was a nightmare..see below*

Promotion at work - good pay increase and absolutely no running around doing crap jobs

In-Laws paid for the family cruise in the caribbean, and then later travelled round mexico for 3 weeks. Soooo many memories :)

Watching my little girl, now 2 years 2 months...awesome

Bad
The house move thing, well, previously tried selling the house earlier in the year (april), fell through at the very last hour when just about to sign, to top it off it was just as the wife was having a miscarriage. Got the call in whislt in hospital from the lawyer too. Lowest point in my life ever without a doubt. That house was cursed, nice enough at first sight, very colonial layout, but riddled with damp and structural problems.

2 Wisdom teeth removed. Was in pain for weeks, worth it now in hindsight.

Soldato
Good:

Had a year abroad, loved being free.
Having some of the best nights out ever.
Making new friends.
Becoming more stable in myself.
Coming back to London and seeing my friends.

Bad:

Losing a lot of money due to the problems we're all experiencing.
Doing pretty much nothing over summer.
Not tightening my purse strings.
Not cutting down on smoking.
Given up the gym.
Missing out on some great opportunities.
Not seeing one of my best friends for over a year and the last time we spoke to him was a year ago :( No one knows where he is exactly :(

Man of Honour
What uni was that from Nitefly? What percentage did you get overall?

University of Bristol - 69.3%. I got shafted for various reasons.

My grieving professor told me to write about something in my dissertation, then later asked me why I wrote about it and marked me down for it (got a low first for it). Very stressful and frustrating, especially when I spent almost a year on a genetic engineering project only for someone to get 90%+ on her flower poster.

Secondly, I was marked 50% on one of my final exams (the rest were 65-85%). It was my strongest subject (genetic engineering) and I got one of the lowest mark in the year, despite knowing almost everything. It was never explained to me why my mark was so low and they wouldn't remark it. I wrote on similar subjects as other people in the exam. If I got 55% in that exam, I would have got a first.

Thirdly, I had a viva examination, where I was told not to revise for, it would be a casual discussion of various topics. I was asked for detailed information which wasn't even on the course and for references of experiments (years, names and research groups).

Thats right, get out your violins :D

Soldato
Hmmmm...

1234567.jpg

OWNED! :)

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Highs
My sister's wedding.
Finding out I'm going to be an uncle next year (same sister).
Officially getting together with a new gf.

Lows
Relationship with new gf finally ended, unfortunately, due to a massive misunderstanding.
Didn't go training as much as I should have.
Didn't go diving as much as I would have liked (although opportunities were few and far between).

Associate
Good
Great job
Great friends
Paying off debts
Single
Became an MCP

Bad
Dumped by gf at the beginning of the year
Got the flu at the moment :(

Overall its been the best year i've had in a long time.

Soldato
Pretty top year tbh

Good
Got my 2:1
Got a great graduate job with one of the Big4
Passed my first set of ICAS exams
Moved to London
Still with the gf
Parents finally got a new dog and she's nuts

Bad
Parents won't be able to move to France with the Euro/property etc. Bad for me selfishly as they were going to use some of the proceeds from the house to pay off my student loan for me. More importantly it's something they've been looking forward to for years.
Lost all three games as 3rd's cricket captain at uni, but had good fun so not the end of the world.

I'd say it's been a pretty top year if I'm honest.

Associate
The good and Bad in order

Built this Pc
Second eldest just completed a tour in Iraq safe and well
Finished Decorating upstairs
Brother has a clean bill of health

The Bad

Brother diagnosed with Cancer
10%Pay cut
Skint but have no debts

Back
Top Bottom