Hi guys,

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI x470 gaming plus
Zotac 1070ti
Evga supernova 550w
16Gb G skill trident z xmp at 3200
WD black m.2 240gb -OS drive
Samsung 970 evo 500gb - games

Been trying to solve this problem for a couple weeks now. Basically in any game I play I get high fps well above 60 but the gameplay is so unsmooth, this happens in a variety of games like Bf5, wreckfest, killing floor, even a simple game like minecraft. It's worse in others and is not consistent. It's also not just in games, scrolling web pages is choppy and so are videos. I've used different v-sync options and triple buffering but this just reduces the severity and just moves the problem around where 1 game maybe better but others will be worse. Gpu usage aslo drops to 0% on Task manager when in game(bf5) but doesnt affect fps
Things I've tried-
Vsync options/triple buffering.
Different monitors 1080/1440
Different mouse
Changing from a 1070ti to a 1050ti
Removing both ram sticks and using a corsair vengence lpx at stock freq
Clean install of gpu drivers
Playing same games on both M.2
Multiple virus scans with different scanners

Also have recorded frame times and gpu/mem freq in game over 5 min, but idk how to attach such a file here

(Maybe this is not linked but is dwm.exe and csrss.exe can be using up to 15% of my gpu at idle.)

Is this a possible problem with the CPU/Motherboard? Am I looking at a complete wipe and re-install of everthing?

Any help, appreciated, sorry for the wall of text

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Acer K242HQL as a cheap 2nd montior, and a 32inch AOC Q3279VWF 1440p, I know its a freesync panel but I didnt have any extra money at the time and I was getting inpatient, obviously freesync is not on

Associate
Also make sure your games aren’t running on your onboard graphics. With FPS like over 60 I think it’ll be running GPU but I’d check as I had a few problems the same as yours and turns out they were using onboard graphics instead of my GPU

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, I tried disconnected monitor and tested a couple games and no difference unfortunately, also I don't have onboard graphics im afraid

Associate
If it’s only been happening for a couple of weeks can you remember if you had installed anything around about that time? Or updated drivers etc? Try uninstall said program or rollback drivers back to the old version

Associate
OP
Have reseated memory and gpu, not cpu as don't have any paste, couldn't pinpoint when it started happening so couldnt say what program I installed, and no, don't have any screen savers and just one still image as my wallpaper, but the 15 percent for dwm csrss is intermittent

Associate
I seen on YouTube a simple change of wallpaper sometimes takes your cpu usage down(not always) and tick no screensaver! but still doesn’t solve the main problem at hand

Back
Top Bottom