Hillsborough inquest verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
on the other hand that we now know some of the police were inept and worse doesn't suddenly turn all the fans into saints - no one forced people to push their way in

there was a big problem with football hooliganism at the time and especially with some sections of the Liverpool fan base

I'm sorry, "Forced their way in"? Though an open gate, as directed by the Police?

"Especially with Liverpool fans" really? You really don't get this do you?

Caporegime
I'm sorry, "Forced their way in"? Though an open gate, as directed by the Police?

"Especially with Liverpool fans" really? You really don't get this do you?

if you're going to quote people then do it properly - if you're unaware that there were hooligan problems with some of the Liverpool fan base then perhaps read about this incident 3 years earlier:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster

Approximately 1 hour before the Juventus-Liverpool final was due to kick off, a large group of Liverpool fans breached a fence that was separating them from a "neutral area" which contained mostly Juventus fans. The latter ran back on the terraces and away from the threat into a concrete retaining wall. Fans already standing near the wall were crushed; eventually the wall collapsed. Many people climbed over to safety, but many others died or were badly injured. The game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further violence, with Juventus winning 1–0.

39 people killed and Liverpool banned from Europe for 6 years... yes they did have a problem with some of their fan base

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Staggering levels of ignorance in this thread.

Some people seem to think that negligence is somehow just "one of those things". In some cases, it can be - but in this case their negligence amounted to negligence so bad it was criminal. This isn't just "yeah there was some negligence but **** happens" but is a much graver situation that rightly deserves to be called out as such and punished appropriately.

As for the fans being to blame or not... Well, turning up ticketless was much more of a thing back then than it is today. Huge crowds had gathered and were not being properly managed. I don't know how many of those pouring blame on the fans have been in huge crowds but generally you don't get much choice about where you're going once a huge crowd starts to move. You're pretty much a passenger. In the case of Hillsborough, these crowds should never have been able to move into the stadium but they were and it wasn't the crowd to blame for that - they should simply have never been physically able to get inside. The fault for that lies squarely with the person who gave the order to open the gate.

Associate
police ****ed up, lied about it and then the government covered it up, back then football fans where considered animals and treated as such.

Soldato
39 people killed and Liverpool banned from Europe for 6 years... yes they did have a problem with some of their fan base

Hooliganism was endemic across the whole of football, Liverpool weren't special in that regard.

And again, all of the subsequent reports and inquiries into Hillsborough have said that there was nothing extraordinary about fans behaviour that day.

** Removed **

Caporegime
that there was nothing extraordinary about the fan's behavior doesn't contradict my view - football fans are rowdy and especially so at that period in time, that was part of why the disaster happened IMO.

** removed **

Soldato
that there was nothing extraordinary about the fan's behavior doesn't contradict my view - football fans are rowdy and especially so at that period in time, that was part of why the disaster happened IMO
Well said. And because that behaviour was 'normal' doesn't make it right. Before Hillsborough there were probably loads of close calls of crushing etc. There certainly were issues with violence, nobody can deny that.

Caporegime
I don't understand how the question "Were the actions of the supporters in any way to blame for the outcome?" or whatever it was came back as a No.

That is obviously not the case... No matter how you look at it, their actions played a massive part in the incident.

Man of Honour
Before Hillsborough there were probably loads of close calls of crushing etc. There certainly were issues with violence, nobody can deny that.

You're right.. but there were lots of things wrong at the time, problems with society wasn't exclusive to football, which people thought it was at the time.

In the case of Hillsborough, these crowds should never have been able to move into the stadium but they were and it wasn't the crowd to blame for that - they should simply have never been physically able to get inside. The fault for that lies squarely with the person who gave the order to open the gate.

100% right.. no way should that gate have been opened but the problem was that then there wasn't the understanding of crowd controlled and stadium safety like we do now. We are comparing standard that exists today that didn't then.. we have these standard because incidents like this happened.. sadly. but we have learned from them.

I have to add, that attending football in the 80's was quite a terrifying experience. It took Hillsborough, and bradford to change everything, so our children will never have to see some of the things or experience such atrocity again.

Soldato
I don't understand how the question "Were the actions of the supporters in any way to blame for the outcome?" or whatever it was came back as a No.

That is obviously not the case... No matter how you look at it, their actions played a massive part in the incident.

This is where I was coming from. Don’t get me wrong the police handled it extremely poorly and should shoulder some of the blame.

However some supporters need to accept that they played their part… people just don’t get crushed, or stampeded over just because someone (in the case the police) opens another entrance.

I have been to many things where thousands of people are trying to get into a certain space, majority of them virtually unpoliced/ stewarded. At least from a sheer ratio point of view. Some of these events were even time sensitive… no one was crushed, stamped on, suffocated at these events.

Why? Probably because people were respectful of everyone. Yes these was some barging and people getting stressed/ angry. Little pockets of bundling. For something like Hillsborough to happen, where people are being crushed and stamped on, means there must have been a large number of people who just didn’t care about the welfare of others. Well beyond just the police opening a gate…

Soldato

Because the actions of the supporters were not abnormal. They went to a football match and acted as normally, as football fans did and do. Any actions of theirs and their result on the disaster were predictable and ordinary and therefore not a cause of the extraordinary events that followed.

Caporegime
I still dont understand how it happened sirely if your in a tunnel and its clearly full ahead and you cant get out you dont jist start pushing forward you stand and wait?

Soldato
Call me completely heartless and I really don't mean to offend, but I don't understand why this has been kicking around for so long. As far as I can tell there was a crush, mistakes were made by all involved (stadium staff,fans, police, ambulance services etc.) and because of this a lot more people died than should have. But at the end of the day it was a terrible accident and should we not have all moved and got on with our lives about 25yrs ago? I don't understand this big drive to blame the police? :confused:

Because it wasn't an accident. Quite simple really.

Caporegime
Because the actions of the supporters were not abnormal. They went to a football match and acted as normally, as football fans did and do. Any actions of theirs and their result on the disaster were predictable and ordinary and therefore not a cause of the extraordinary events that followed.

If thats your reasoning football violence is normal and expected behavior of football fans and therefor they do nothing wrong when they kick somones head in

Soldato
I think the problem is in such a situation the people at the back of the 'queue' cant see what's going on at the front and just continue on. (They had to make there way through a tunnel and the stands were unsighted from this if i remember correctly?) Then when they get there they cant turn back as more of the same is happening behind them... Plus no one was monitoring the amount of people going to these locations so in effect it becomes a free for all.

Its just a shame its taken this long for it to finally be sorted out. :(

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato

This is just a case of you not understanding the dynamics of any large crowd and how those dynamics played out on that day.

This is where I was coming from. Don’t get me wrong the police handled it extremely poorly and should shoulder some of the blame.

However some supporters need to accept that they played their part… people just don’t get crushed, or stampeded over just because someone (in the case the police) opens another entrance.

I have been to many things where thousands of people are trying to get into a certain space, majority of them virtually unpoliced/ stewarded. At least from a sheer ratio point of view. Some of these events were even time sensitive… no one was crushed, stamped on, suffocated at these events.

Why? Probably because people were respectful of everyone. Yes these was some barging and people getting stressed/ angry. Little pockets of bundling. For something like Hillsborough to happen, where people are being crushed and stamped on, means there must have been a large number of people who just didn’t care about the welfare of others. Well beyond just the police opening a gate…

Thousands of people going into a space, yes. A space where thousands of people can fit. If you made the space for 100 people, those thousands of people would still try and get in.

Look at something as simple as a gig. Thousands of people all trying to get as close to the front as possible. People have been very seriously injured at the front just by virtue of the rows upon rows of people all shuffling forward behind them. The force of a crowd really is staggering.

As a really, really simple example I've been stood up on a train in an area where you could only stand single file. A loud-mouthed woman at the back of the line was cold and kept on shouting at people ahead to move forward, resulting in a massive crush at the other end as people shuffled forward only a tiny amount.

A person is only a few inches deep - it really does not take much movement at all once people are in very close proximity to cause enough pressure to suffocate someone. It isn't like people at the back had their shoulders to the people in front of them trying to force people in - it probably felt just like the usual argey bargey you get in any large group of people moving through a confined space. The difference is that these days there are stewards everywhere and things are designed from the get-go to slow down crowd movements in safe ways as they approach pinch points so that there isn't the opportunity to generate the conditions for a crush to happen.

To apportion blame, there would have needed to be some amount of either deliberate action, action despite knowing that it would (or could reasonably) lead to harm or deliberate inaction knowing that it would (or could reasonably) come to harm. Fans filing into a stadium designed to hold thousands of people, through a gate opened by the people there to get them in safely could not possibly be held to blame for what happened in the circumstances as they prevailed.

Sure, they were physically there and if none of them had been physically there then there wouldn't have been a crush - but that's a ludicrously unreasonable position to hold given the context that they are attending an organised event. Its like being to blame for getting in the way of someone's fist if you've been punched in the face - you've got it all backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom