• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HIS Radeon 5870 performance problems

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
All the figures from GPU-Z were at idle, even the 25% usage. The clocks never drop from 850/1200. The temperature seems on the high side but from reading around others are getting that sort of level, though those without problems, as you say, are in the region of 45.

In answer to what I was using previously: Immediately prior to install I was using a very old Radeon X800 after the unfortunate demise of my Nvidia card while building the new system. The X800 was working without any problems.

Soldato
If the clocks dont drop from 850/1200 at idle then you have a problem without doubt. Try and kill all apps and processes to see if one of them is using the GPU, this would also explain other issues you have.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I'm not, which is odd. I'm running Catalyst 9.8 with the latest drivers from HIS's website. Strange that CPU-Z is reporting it to be 9.0 but I completely removed it and reinstalled to be sure.

Soldato

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I've tried all versions of the drivers from those on AMD's site through to beta drivers elsewhere and all to no avail.

I've also tried a fresh install on a spare hard drive and the performance issues with the 5870 persists. Perhaps the card is faulty or it may not like the Asus P6T7 - either way it is unusable.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
All the information is on the first page of the thread including GPU-Z results, details of the problems and power supplies (Corsair 450w feeding RAID array and a 1000w unit powering everything else - I've tried the Radeon on both with no improvement).

Associate
don't know if i can help but my 5870 is running hot. 50-60 at idle.

However in my gigabyte bord it is pci-express slot 1 which makes it directly on top of the northbridge cooling metalwork, so it may be getting heat from there as well.

i also notice the little pci clip wont latch as i cannot push it down due to the northbridge.

anyhow i did windows score and the graphics card got 7.9.

so it seems the card is working but getting heat from the mb.

Soldato
I’m not sure if anyone can help – I’m having problems with my newly installed HIS Radeon 5870. It doesn’t seem to be running at full speed (Windows 7’s Experience Index test rates it at only 2.0) and video playback (in both Quicktime and Windows Media Player) suffers from judder and flicker. The system ran perfectly with the previous graphics card and since its install the sound, even on standard windows sounds, crackles (I’m running this through the motherboard’s onboard sound and not the HDMI cable, although the problem exists there too if I switch to that).

The Spec of the system is as follows:

Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 ghz
6gb of RAM
350gb Raptor – boot drive
1.5tb Seagate- network drive
8 x Seagate 1.5tb drives in a RAID 5 array via a Highpoint RocketRAID 2320
Pioneer 5090 Plasma display @ 1920 x 1080
Corsair HX450W running RAID array and a 1000w supply feeding the rest

I’m running the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit release candidate with all updates installed. I’ve tried each version of the 5870 drivers including those packaged with the card, ATI’s latest drivers and the beta RC7 driver. The problems persist with each. I’ve direct x 11 installed and I’ve tried running the signal through both DVI and HDMI. I’ve also tried the system on an old monitor instead of the Pioneer Plasma and the problems with display, though lesser due to the decreased resolution, persist. To my eye, there doesn’t appear to be any relevant settings in BIOS, with the vast majority of settings on auto.

If anyone could suggest where to begin trying to get the card working and eradicating the problems with video playback I’d be most grateful.

You might want to configure Your Audio hardware properly, then drivers and codecs etc
I don't think Windows 7 can run multiple audio hardware simultaneously

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I've done the drivers and codecs but I'll try disabling the 5870's onboard sound and see if that does the trick.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I've disabled the 5870's sound and all the performance issue remain. I've been trying to fix it all weekend and nothing has worked, I think I'm going to return the card stating that it appears to be faulty and see if the replacement has exactly the same issues. If it does I'm a little stuck. Thanks for all the advice thus far.

Associate
Maybe email HIS and ask for another bios or get a working HIS one off the net to flash. That 25% load sounds like the main problem though don't know what could be using it :confused:

Soldato
I've disabled the 5870's sound and all the performance issue remain. I've been trying to fix it all weekend and nothing has worked, I think I'm going to return the card stating that it appears to be faulty and see if the replacement has exactly the same issues. If it does I'm a little stuck. Thanks for all the advice thus far.

What exactly are the problems, and what works ok ?

This is a not a hard problem to fix ;) just give us so info !

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
Hi Jakus, all the problems set out in the opening post to this thread:

I’m not sure if anyone can help – I’m having problems with my newly installed HIS Radeon 5870. It doesn’t seem to be running at full speed (Windows 7’s Experience Index test rates it at only 2.0) and video playback (in both Quicktime and Windows Media Player) suffers from judder and flicker. The system ran perfectly with the previous graphics card and since its install the sound, even on standard windows sounds, crackles (I’m running this through the motherboard’s onboard sound and not the HDMI cable, although the problem exists there too if I switch to that).

The GPU is 62 degrees at idle and the clocks are not dropping from 850/1200 at idle either. The card also appears to be continually under 25% load even when idle.

The Spec of the system is as follows:

Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 ghz
6gb of RAM
350gb Raptor – boot drive
1.5tb Seagate- network drive
8 x Seagate 1.5tb drives in a RAID 5 array via a Highpoint RocketRAID 2320
Pioneer 5090 Plasma display @ 1920 x 1080
Corsair HX450W running RAID array and a 1000w supply feeding the rest

I’m running the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit release candidate with all updates installed. I’ve tried each version of the 5870 drivers including those packaged with the card, ATI’s latest drivers and the beta RC7 driver. The problems persist with each. I’ve direct x 11 installed and I’ve tried running the signal through both DVI and HDMI. I’ve also tried the system on an old monitor instead of the Pioneer Plasma and the problems with display, though lesser due to the decreased resolution, persist. To my eye, there doesn’t appear to be any relevant settings in BIOS, with the vast majority of settings on auto. I've tried different PCI-E slots, powering the 5870 from the Corsair supply and a fresh Win 7 install.

If anyone could suggest where to begin trying to get the card working and eradicating the problems with video playback I’d be most grateful.

Screen shots from GPU-Z and details of what is running can also be found on the opening page. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom