HMV Finally closing down for good?

Caporegime
Agreed.
Apart from jobs I think it would be great for high Street shops to die and in their place be activities and social hubs etc.

I don't really understand the love of retail shops. I guess its just nostalgia?

Only bad bit about death of brick and mortar retail is job losses
Well part of your wish is coming true. High streets are dying.

But they aren't being replaced by anything good. Unless you like betting shops.

Caporegime
It's fairly simple.

The demand you need has to outweigh your costs.

The higher the costs, the more demand you need.

I can choose any figure for costs which will exceed any figure you choose for demand.

Again, the staggering churn in shop ownership down here suggests that yes, desire to set up a business is here. Also demand exists at some level for these shops. Yet the costs of operating prove too much for most.

You suspect that most people attempting it have some idea about the figures, but sadly the vast majority can't make it work.

That's the point you're not seeing.

I think you keep missing the point then as all you're doing is basically reinforcing what I've already been pointing out. You're reaching the same conclusions! The demand you need has to outweigh your costs? Yes, exactly... ergo they're not going to be feasible in all areas. Like I already pointed out there is no shortage of people who'd be happy to open up these sorts of businesses.

Well part of your wish is coming true. High streets are dying.

But they aren't being replaced by anything good. Unless you like betting shops.

not necessarily - depends on the highstreet/area - where there is sufficient demand you'll find independent businesses too

betting shops could well face closure too - you'll also find that some local authorities have been buying up their high streets - you can't charge excessively high rents if you're unable to rent out units... rent tends to rise/fall too...

Caporegime
Nope I've not done that - some high streets are **** holes
So why are they **** holes?

Is that desirable?

Should we not take action to help (potential) small business owners by lowering rates in places where lack of interest/lack of demand doesn't allow viable businesses to get started? Is regular business churn a good sign? Desirable, even?

Or are you arguing for a different usage of the high street as something other than a commercial hub. Because that doesn't seem to be happening either. Many high streets are now **** holes as you put it, plain and simple.

Caporegime
So why are they **** holes?

lots of reasons - some high streets are in poor areas...

Is that desirable?

Why would a **** hole be desirable - surely by definition it is the opposite....

Should we not take action to help (potential) small business owners by lowering rates in places where lack of interest/lack of demand doesn't allow viable businesses to get started? Is regular business churn a good sign? Desirable, even?

Possibly - that is down to the local authority, they're in control of business rates. Some councils can and do offer discounts to local businesses in order to encourage regeneration etc..

Or are you arguing for a different usage of the high street as something other than a commercial hub. Because that doesn't seem to be happening either. Many high streets are now **** holes as you put it, plain and simple.

What different usage do you have in mind? I quite like to be able to go and sit in a cafe at least etc...

Soldato
HMV died years ago in about 2005 down hill from there, same with virgin they lost the plot and took the urine from Joe public.

You need to move with the times but HMV did not, stupid management and bad decisions. The dog should have stuck its head in that gramophone speaker years ago.

Soldato
Agreed.
Apart from jobs I think it would be great for high Street shops to die and in their place be activities and social hubs etc.

I don't really understand the love of retail shops. I guess its just nostalgia?

Only bad bit about death of brick and mortar retail is job losses

I still need high street shops because I like try my clothes before I buy them.

XL in shop A, XL in shop B, XL on Amazon can be different.

Commissario
Sizes within the same shop/brand can even be difficult, it’s silly.
It's not so bad if it's a major brand and they don't do "fast fashion" changing suppliers at random to whoever is cheapest this week.

One of the things I found a while back was that whilst places like peacocks etc had widly varying sizes (even if you bought the same time 3 months apart), M&S for example seem to be able to keep sizing consistent across the range for years (I can buy a pair of jeans one year, go back 2 years later and buy a pair in a slightly different style and they'll fit the same).

Soldato
The only way for the traditional high street to survive is doing something like mike ashley's idea which is a online retail tax which the revenue is then used to subsidise high street rents/rates. But gov's are too scared to tax.

I completely disagree with his idea. Why should i have to effectively subsidise (by way of this tax) a company that either a) i would have no intention of visiting anyway, or b) hasn't made any attempt to change with the times.

As sad as it is to say, the high street is dying.

People would much rather be able to order what they want/need from home/work/on-the-move and have the luxury of having the item slightly cheaper, than having to visit a high street for it.

Subsidising high street stores by way of a tax isn't suddenly going to increase the footfall into these stores. It'll just make people more miffed that they've gotta pay slightly more for the product that they're ordering online.

I see 'Super Malls' (free parking / variety of shops / restaurants / bars / Entertainment - Cinema/Bowling/Mini Golf etc / All under one roof) being the thing that will attract people from high streets. The only flip side is that these only tend to exist in cities.

The home town where i grew up has a dire town centre that's been dying for many many years. The locals have been moaning for years that the council haven't invested there, and now it's full of economy branded shops. Everyone jumps on the train or drives to the next city over, which has a much more active/lively shopping scene.

Don
What’s he upto? Seems to be buying up the high street, is he expecting tax regime changes to level the playing field with Amazon and the like and is picking stuff up on the cheap in the meanwhile?

Back
Top Bottom