Hobbyist - Body/lens for indoor low light photography

Soldato
So my old Canon 100d is getting a bit worse for wear (it was 2nd hand even when I bought it) and I'm wondering about replacements...

Context:
- enthusiastic amateur, not going to get any work published any time soon that's for sure!
- currently have a 100d and about 4 lenses
- usage is varied, but probably the most critical is sports photography indoor (1/1000) in low light conditions at distances from 3m to 15m. I find I have to crank iso to the max which looks horrid on that old camera
- I'd ideally like to reuse my Canon lenses (kit 18-55, 50-250, 50 prime, and a tamron 28-300) but I'm not wedded to them - I've heard that new Canon stuff is getting pricey.

Up for either dslr or mirrorless, but quite tempted by mirrorless as I think the burst performance and low light performance would suit my use well, but happy to be guided.

Any advice gratefully received!

Soldato
I'd say your main limitation is your lenses, none of which apart from the 50mm are ideal for your use. There's not much point buying a better body if you're going to cripple it with small aperture lenses. So I think you should be prepared to ditch the lot but, as always, what's your budget?

Soldato
OP
I'm partly trying to figure that out if I'm honest. Under a grand for the lot certainly.

I'm wondering if I'd be better going for a 2nd hand dslr body and spending most of my money on a 50-100 fixed aperture lens?

Soldato
I think that's a sensible option. Get a newer Canon body plus something like an 85mm f1.8 to pair with your 50mm. Have a look at the major re-sellers like Wex, LCE & MPB to see what's available.

Back
Top Bottom