Holiday insurance: claims for delays?

I have hope.
Found a case that went to the financial. Ombudsman that was settled in favour of the claimant

Its nearly exactly the same as my circumstances. The quoted passage is absolutely identical to my policy wording.

FLzrzlH.jpeg

Last edited:
above example looks more like discrete privately booked flights failing rather than package.

so is isn't a multi-day trekking where they couldn't really have shortened it, without inbuilt contingency
24 hour+ delay seems as though it could have allowed you to abandon with more extensive refund, beyond £500 odd flight compensation.

Firstly - enjoy what you have left of your holiday and deal with it when your home....

Secondly - you need to find out the reason for the flight returning etc. If it was a mechanical issues then your highly unlikely to be able to claim anything as this is "out with " the control of the airline. Similar with weather etc.

If you have incurred any additional costs for transport / hotels / food etc - you would potentially claim under your insurance for that but remember you have an excess so sometimes it's not worth the claim.

If the package company have done what they can in reasonable circumstances - i/e put you up in a hotel/food etc etc - then your only option is via your own insurance but again "missed 2 days of our holiday" usually doesn't wash as it's one of those things that happens and hard to "define" who's actually at fault for the issues.

Last edited:
Holiday was great. Will be pursuing this at the weekend.

The group I was with has had mixed results.

The tour organiser (much better adventures) has apparently granted some compensation for one person. But 2 others (+ me) have had no luck.

Firstly - enjoy what you have left of your holiday and deal with it when your home....

Secondly - you need to find out the reason for the flight returning etc. If it was a mechanical issues then your highly unlikely to be able to claim anything as this is "out with " the control of the airline. Similar with weather etc.

If you have incurred any additional costs for transport / hotels / food etc - you would potentially claim under your insurance for that but remember you have an excess so sometimes it's not worth the claim.

If the package company have done what they can in reasonable circumstances - i/e put you up in a hotel/food etc etc - then your only option is via your own insurance but again "missed 2 days of our holiday" usually doesn't wash as it's one of those things that happens and hard to "define" who's actually at fault for the issues.

So what I'm pursuing is the package operator not doing anything.

If they had arranged a tour in Iceland, I'd have been OK with that. But they didn't.

The airline did everything they should have and I incurred no costs. (Iceland Air). It was weather related. So my claim isn't with them.

I will chase the "you didn't provide anything" approach with MBA. Like said. If they had got us on a bus to somewhere like a waterfall or hot spring, it have been OK with it. They did not. Worse. They said they would try . But it never materialised.

Last edited:
So what I'm pursuing is the package operator not doing anything.

If they had arranged a tour in Iceland, I'd have been OK with that. But they didn't.

The airline did everything they should have and I incurred no costs. (Iceland Air). It was weather related. So my claim isn't with them.

I will chase the "you didn't provide anything" approach with MBA. Like said. If they had got us on a bus to somewhere like a waterfall or hot spring, it have been OK with it. They did not. Worse. They said they would try . But it never materialised.

Best of luck - I hope you get whatever you claim for but I suspect you'll end up getting the run around with no one actually admitting any "fault" or error.

At such short notice (i.e a cancelled flight) - there potentially isn't time for them to arrange anything. Just playing devils advocate here.

The package operators will blame the airline, the airline will blame the weather, and the package operators will say that they didn't have time to arrange anything suitable for you.

Will be interesting to find out the outcome - Hope you get something sorted.

Best of luck - I hope you get whatever you claim for but I suspect you'll end up getting the run around with no one actually admitting any "fault" or error.

At such short notice (i.e a cancelled flight) - there potentially isn't time for them to arrange anything. Just playing devils advocate here.

The package operators will blame the airline, the airline will blame the weather, and the package operators will say that they didn't have time to arrange anything suitable for you.

Will be interesting to find out the outcome - Hope you get something sorted.

Yeah that's certainly what they are trying to do. I'll get the details from the person who said MBA admitted fault and see what she said to them.

But yeah I think it may be a fight. I'd accept a voucher, which may be easier to get than a refund.

Back
Top Bottom