Holidays 2019

Caporegime
I was skeptical about the idea of a cruise before I went on my first one around the med, since then I have done three or four. Great fun. After our children though we havent because my wife is paranoid and fixated with the idea of our kids falling off the damn boat.
My parents have been cruising for years and keep banging on about how good it is - depending very much upon who you go with - Royal Carribean and Cunard are the two they suggested to us.

Soldato
Only booked centre parcs so far. A combination of expecting the politicians to stuff travel up for brexit, children in different school holidays and poor exchange rates have put us off committing to anything overseas until we see it all settle down.

Soldato
Sound - ignore my comment about the occupation if you’ve been there a few times I’m sure your clued up. :)
There are two options fly to Larnaka then coach to the north, or fly to Istanbul then fly to Ercan. Usualy go via Turkey as its a better flight with Turkish Airlines, rather than the Larnaka flight with Jet2.

Soldato
Then over to Phu Quoc for 6 nights

The sea is depressingly filthy around Phu Quoc and i've travelled most of SEA, it's the worst i've seen anywhere in the region. We stayed here a few years ago - http://mangobayphuquoc.com/

It's just plastic rubbish and debris everywhere, we could barely swim 2 meters without something in our face to the point we pretty much avoided the sea after the first two days :(

While it's a holiday and not wanting to bring your mood down, I highly recommend visiting the prison in the far south of the island, it's a pretty sobering experience with many candid photos from the occupation about the place and it and stayed with me for a while after getting back home. However to cheer things up there is a beach very close with squeaky sand :)

GUiWyjC.jpg

Soldato
My parents have been cruising for years and keep banging on about how good it is - depending very much upon who you go with - Royal Carribean and Cunard are the two they suggested to us.

Both of those are very good cruise operators from my experience. Expect to put on weight, the food (served 24/7) is usually epic.

Caporegime
Brussels and London in February and somewhere undecided summer, thinking USA by train with a few 2/3 day
stops , but that will be pricey, then Xmas '19 in London with nother EU city, maybe Prague on the way home?

Soldato
Going to Paris for a few days at the end of the month. France V Wales on the Friday night, fly back Sunday morning.

Going to the Scotland for 5 days at the end of April. I've booked a chalet near Ullapool for 3 nights, will stop somewhere over night on the way up and on the way back down. Lots of Driving on great roads and looking at fantastic scenery. Might do a bit of walking depending on the weather.

Have a week off in September as well that I might go back to Rome for a few days but haven't decided yet.

Caporegime
Gothenburg for three nights later this month.
My girlfriends favourite brewery has a bar there, and that’s the reason we’re going!

Perhaps a week in Seattle and couple of nights in Portland or Vancouver.
Can get to Seattle for £310 return which is the only reason I’m thinking about it.

Big trip is sounding like flying into Mexico City, spend two weeks working our way to Cancun and ending the trip with a few days in a resort there.

Finally I go away by myself every year and this year I fancy Israel or Lebanon. Flights are pricey so just waiting on a deal!

Luckily I get 28 days normal holiday but can flexi time another ten.
There’ll be a couple trips to London, Newcastle and either Skye or Islay as well - but these will be weekend trips.

Question - this £300 flight to Seattle...hint?

Wait nevermind....found it.

Permabanned
Been in Portugal in my campervan since November. Will be spending summer here and Spain and heading back later in the year. Not a holiday per se as I work in my van too, but that’s as much a hobby as a job.

Caporegime
Been in Portugal in my campervan since November. Will be spending summer here and Spain and heading back later in the year. Not a holiday per se as I work in my van too, but that’s as much a hobby as a job.

Please stop, that sounds brilliant.

Haven't booked anything yet, costs are astronomical for a few days away and all the fuss involved. Hate this time of year where you hear everyone banging on about much-needed vacations they've booked when they barely even do any work or sometimes don't even have a job :eek:

Caporegime
@robj20 how are you planning to get there out of interest? I ask because you need to be aware that due to the Turkish occupation you have to travel through a UN buffer zone between the north and south, as a tourist if you were planning on flying to southern Cyprus first you won’t be allowed to take a hire car from the south over the border - a local unofficial scam is they will let you out and but not let you back into the south without paying a huge “fine”!

Another thing is only way to fly there is afaik to fly to Turkey first then to the north.

My other half’s parents live in southern Cyprus so we go and stay with them every August for a few weeks last year though we stayed for a few nights in Kyrenia (Girne) at the Dome hotel which was very very cheap - in general not just the hotel - and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay - and buying lots of fake tat! :D - were going back again this year.

They have a Cypriot registered car (without the red hire car number plates) so can go between the south and north without issue.

Also toying with the idea of a cruise, Cunard have some tempting offers at the moment. :)

I've known people to take a hire car in and out. Risky, but possible.

You can also just walk across and then sort a car out if you need one.

Caporegime
I've known people to take a hire car in and out. Risky, but possible.

You can also just walk across and then sort a car out if you need one.
Very much depends on who’s manning the checkpoint, on the day we went back to the south there were a line of hire cars being held on the Cypriot (southbound) side and not being let through.

Yes doable as you say but very risky.

Permabanned
Please stop, that sounds brilliant.

Haven't booked anything yet, costs are astronomical for a few days away and all the fuss involved. Hate this time of year where you hear everyone banging on about much-needed vacations they've booked when they barely even do any work or sometimes don't even have a job :eek:

You don’t need to work much in a campervan. Getting to the algarve is around £500 in tunnel, tolls and fuel, but once I’m here the only money i spend is money I have to spend anywhere, food, petrol, bit of gas. Also the longer you stay the cheaper it gets :). You don’t need to pay for campsites or parking, you can literally live on the beach for free, unlimited 4g is a euro a day and I can watch nfx, surf (literally too) and work on my laptop. I can easily live on 3-400 a month.

Best thing I ever bought, this van.

Don
OP
The sea is depressingly filthy around Phu Quoc and i've travelled most of SEA, it's the worst i've seen anywhere in the region. We stayed here a few years ago - http://mangobayphuquoc.com/

we were there 2 years ago and, even though we had heard this, we didn't see much evidence other than down at Sao Beach, the place id developing so quickly they need to make sure they have a plan

Soldato
Rome + Naples in March/April (during the Brexit cutoff day oo-err :eek:), 5 days in Rome, 3 days in Naples. The place in Naples is a cottage on a vineyard at the foot of Vesuvius, looks beautiful. Can't wait :D.

Might also be going somewhere for a long weekend in February, probably York/Edinburgh. We haven't decided yet.

Soldato
Skiing in St Anton, Austria for a week at the end of the month which can't come soon enough then a long weekend in Courchevel, France skiing again.

2 weeks in Mauritius booked for September.

Going to do a week in the Scottish highlands late summer. Most likely West coast.

European city break in the Summer also. Most likely Lisbon as my wife and I loved it there a few years ago.

Soldato
we were there 2 years ago and, even though we had heard this, we didn't see much evidence other than down at Sao Beach, the place id developing so quickly they need to make sure they have a plan

Hopefully it's been sorted then, however a lot of it comes over from Gulf of Thailand so might be diminishing returns with effort.

Man of Honour
Usual rounds of snowboarding trips and mucking about in the med in Mallorca a few times. May do something more exotic but I travel so much with work I usually can't be bothered (at the expense of the wife and kids).

Back
Top Bottom