Holidays 2020

Soldato
My wife has put together a guide for Sri Lanka following our honeymoon there last year, could add a bit of insight for you - http://thehappykamper.com/sri-lanka-itinerary-what-to-see-in-two-weeks/
That's a really nice blog/article I'll have to give it a proper read when I have the chance. Granted you were on your honeymoon but I have to laugh when you start reading people suggesting places to stay when abroad and they come up with places like the Shangri-La. It's like.. um.. really the famous luxury 5-star hotel chain was nice? Well colour me surprised ;):p (No offence, obvs!). We were planning a trip to Sri Lanka and then the terrorist attacks happened so have been looking elsewhere since (Mexico, for one). But you've piqued my interest again.

As for me, I'm (hopefully) off skiing this Sunday. Fly to Geneva then transfer to Tignes. Can't do anything but cross my fingers and hope for the best. :(

I've also just booked a work trip to LA and Vegas for April. Full flexible so no issues there although I had to explain that booking it now and seeing what happens was a better way of doing it - rather than waiting until a week before and paying 5 times as much! It's a big convention in Vegas so not really sure if it'll go ahead...

Soldato
On our honeymoon in USA from 16th April for 3 weeks. Hoping there is no disruption with both US and UK cases of COVID-19 on the rise!
You can't go to the US for 30 days... They will probably extend it too.

The 30 days starts tomorrow.
So should be lifted on the 14th?

Mabey you can, but I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
Associate
You can't go to the US for 30 days... They will probably extend it too.

The 30 days starts tomorrow.
So should be lifted on the 14th?

Mabey you can, but I wouldn't risk it.

Not risking it. Airline have allowed us to move our flights at no extra cost up until 25th March, and if the flight is cancelled (which in all likelyhood it will be if the ban is still in place) we get a full refund. Our travel insurance covers us in any case, it's just disappointing we wont be able to go on the trip we've been planning for months. Safety first though, we'll just go later in the year, or next year.

Soldato
I'm due to fly to Thailand via Amsterdam on Friday. It still says it's going, but things change every day at the moment and we're expecting a total lockdown this week, so we're still very unsure what's going to happen. Loads of non refundable stuff would be a waste, oh and I'd miss my sisters wedding over there which would suck.

Permabanned
have a holiday to lanzarote on the 18th of april.

only paid a part payment upto now£300, the remaining balance £655 needs to be paid on the 4th of april 2 weeks before departure.

not got any insurance so not sure whats going to happen.

Soldato
I'm due to fly to Thailand via Amsterdam on Friday. It still says it's going, but things change every day at the moment and we're expecting a total lockdown this week, so we're still very unsure what's going to happen. Loads of non refundable stuff would be a waste, oh and I'd miss my sisters wedding over there which would suck.

IMO you'd have to be mad to travel right now.

Some of the earlier posts on this thread have been modded by one of the Dons (Feek) for mentioning a banned place/city. I know OcUK has a banned word list, so idea why please it's a banned word as it's not obvious to me? This is of course without typing the banned word itself or breaking any other rules.

We need a new thread.... 'Cancelled holidays 2020'

This unfortunately. My sister has cancelled a trip to the USA over Easter and a friend's trip to Greece in May might be grounded too. Luckily I only have a fortnight off in October in this country and things will have probably blown over by then.

Associate
have a holiday to lanzarote on the 18th of april.

only paid a part payment upto now£300, the remaining balance £655 needs to be paid on the 4th of april 2 weeks before departure.

not got any insurance so not sure whats going to happen.

I'm meant to be going in June, flights already paid for. Written it off already and just hoping the flights get cancelled by the airline and I get a refund.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Got a REALLY cheap snowboard holiday for the five of us to Ruka for Feb 2021 half term. Seems like companies are already on a discount spree!

Holiday insurance was a bit eye watering though compared to how much we paid for the same location xmas just gone!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Hell of a risk, like going bareback with a $10 Bangkok Hooker. :eek:

Why? It's all covered on cancellation policy / credit card charge pack / insurance. And Crystal Ski have been REALLY good with everyone this year issuing unquestioned refunds or finding alternative resorts.

If any of those three don't come through, then I'll have bigger things to worry about than just trying to get a couple of grand back for a holiday!

Permabanned
so if booked a package holiday with ATOL you can request a full refund then regardless if the airline is still flying to destination ?

Can I cancel my holiday to Spain?
Because the government has updated the advice for "all but essential travel," Brits who have booked package holidays can get a full refund if they are ATOL protected.

Soldato
oh and I'd miss my sisters wedding over there which would suck.

You would miss it even if you went unless you've factored in the mandatory 2 week quarantine you have to go through

Thailand has extended its list of high-risk originating countries to include the United States, the United Kingdom and nine other nations in a move just announced. This means all passengers from these countries are subject to self-quarantine orders for 14 days in addition to daily reporting of their health condition to the Thai Ministry of Public Health. Failure to comply with the provisions could see those in breach landed with fines of up to ฿100,000 or faced with a 1-year prison sentence in Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom