holy shimoly - 30" monitor is ridiculous

Associate
just got a 30". would have bought 27" but the 30 was cheaper (on offer).

never before had i seen one of these in the flesh - if i have i wouldn't have bought it. it is so huge i can't believe it. room fillingly VAST.

i started to email the company i bought it from to say i wanted to send it back, but have given it a few hours and its growing on me.

anyone else on here got one of these, and if you have did you feel the same as me when you first got it?

Associate
OP
weescott said:
I have seen one in the flesh. The thing is huuuge. You need a really big desk and a big room plus 2 top of the range GFX cards to make it worth while. I settled for a measly 24" :rolleyes:

what games were you playing. i just played far cry on full res with everything on max, and was getting about 120 fps according to fraps with 8800gtx.

hl2 on full settings with full res was about 80-90 fps.

hl2 episode 1 was about 35 fps, so turned it down a notch on the res (1920) and got about 80 fps if i remember right.

and yep, i agree, they are awfully big.

Associate
OP
DavidB said:
Fancy uploading a few pics ? :p

here it is with firefox, outlook, msconfig, and msn open and you can see them all without them being shrunk down at all. all the bits of the pages i could see on my old monitor (1680x1050) with the apps maximised are visible :confused:

<<edit - not quite maximized>>

30inch.jpg

i think i like it now, but not entirely sure. it is just so massive.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't play anything on the 30". I just stared at it for 20 seconds straight.

Playing FEAR again ATM 1920x1200 all settings at max with my GTX. Supreme commander I have to turn off some effects on the 80k maps at full res.

I'm finding that I have to sit well back from this 24" screen. Hate to think what a 30" screen is like to live with long term.

Associate
OP
I'm finding that I have to sit well back from this 24" screen. Hate to think what a 30" screen is like to live with long term.

that is exactly what concerns me - can i live with it? i'm either going to love it or hate it, and so far i don't know. i think i have 7 days under distance selling regs (cooling off period) to decide), so i have better hurry up and decide. :D

Associate
OP
buachille said:
are you winding me up or - is 40" available / possible. i can't even contemplate that :eek:

you were not winding me up. just googled for 40" monitor.

what do you do with that thing. you in graphic design or something?

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
buachille said:

It would be a HDTV?

Also is it me or are you using a wireless usb addaptor on that PC when the router is right next to it? :confused: :confused:

Associate
buachille said:
here it is with firefox, outlook, msconfig, and msn open and you can see them all without them being shrunk down at all. all the bits of the pages i could see on my old monitor (1680x1050) with the apps maximised are visible :confused:

<<edit - not quite maximized>>

i think i like it now, but not entirely sure. it is just so massive.

HOLY **** its as big if not bigger than my Tsunami Dream :eek: :eek:

My 17" Viewsonic feels very small now :(

Suspended
buachille said:

It's used for films/movies, although can be used Windows, and games (gaming PC would need to be connected up though)

You can buy 56" 1080P screens, although at that rez not ideal for Windows, great for gaming. They're not "PC monitors" but can be used as one.

Associate
OP
squiffy said:
It's used for films/movies, although can be used Windows, and games (gaming PC would need to be connected up though)

You can buy 56" 1080P screens, although at that rez not ideal for Windows, great for gaming. They're not "PC monitors" but can be used as one.

56" (hang on while i attempt to get back up again :D )

anyway, here is what this puny 30" does to thinkbroadband.co.uk when maximised (can't imagine how it would look on 56").

webpage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom