Home automation - cheap wifi switch

Soldato
ordered some of these, a power monitoring one and a couple with the on/off switch backup in case wifi goes down.

Also bought a usb->ttl so I can flash a different firmware then don't have to rely on 3rd party cloud services to use these.

Just installed OpenHab on a Pi Zero W and it's running my Hue bulbs at the moment, will integrate these switches, Alexa and my Harmony hub when I get to grips with the software.

Soldato
Has anyone put a sonoff on a power meter to see what its standby consumption is ?
I thought I had seen article which discussed near 1W consumption which is fine for controlling high power device (1.6Kw coffee machine I was considering)
but for controlliing a 3w led light might be more concerning.
This item on the chipset alone , suggested 0.5W peaks.

Soldato
Thanks, yes I guess is depends on the firmware, whether its is putting it into DTIM3,
but even that spec p12 says during wireless transmit
Transmit 802.11b, CCK 1Mbps, POUT=+19.5dBm 215mA

Maybe some of the alternative firmware, addresses such concerns eg putting it into deeper sleep at time when you do not want fast response,
if it gave me 60s poll for turning on my coffee amchine that would be fine.

EDIT: subequently saw another article w/custom firmware suggesting default 0.6/0.7W but could be reduced , i am amazed the info is not readily available
seems to be a new 4 channel version too, cheaper than 4 singles
EDIT2: 4channel uses a newer chip esp8285 with internal flash

Last edited:
Soldato
https://community.smartthings.com/t...handler-smartapp-5-10-smart-switches/45957/28

Really simple instructions once you get over some of the confusing looking steps. The first one is the challenge, subsequent ones take seconds.
I used the cheapest FTDI thing I could find, $2 delivered!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...32648254875.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.eP2Drk

I've now got around that issue by using cheap extension leads (1m), putting the sonoff in the cable, and cutting the slack, so you just have a male plug > sonoff > female plug. Works well!

Hi tres, I got myself a Sonoff with the ambition to flash it's firmware for Smartthings, and I have an FTDI USB adapter, but I cannot figure out how to connect it to my Sonoff, would you mind helping me with where you bought those little wires from, and which holes on the Sonoff connect to the FTDI please?

Soldato
OP
Hi tres, I got myself a Sonoff with the ambition to flash it's firmware for Smartthings, and I have an FTDI USB adapter, but I cannot figure out how to connect it to my Sonoff, would you mind helping me with where you bought those little wires from, and which holes on the Sonoff connect to the FTDI please?

Get some dupont or 'breadboard cables' from ebay for a quid. As for the holes... i'll find out!

Soldato
does you usb have a pin/jumper for 3.3v?

solder a header to the board then just connect up and switch the tx/rx round on your adaptor.

done about six of these and four of the s20 plugs.

DcUgvYn.jpg

Soldato
I've got a whole load of these around the house: Basic (inline), S20 (sockets) and the SV (low voltage) all running Tasmota. I've modded some to use PIRs on the GPIO too and everything works with Alexa or MQTT.

Getting some PWM controllers for RGBW and want to play about with some of the other formats like inline bulb holders and stuff. It's opened up a whole new world of home automation and conditional device control - already made a custom interface for whole lot in OpenHAB and planning some more interesting things!

Back
Top Bottom