Home Cinema Setup - Second Hand Guidance?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I have limited budget but a decent space to progressively add to. Inspired by the hc Vs. Sonos I'm tempted to try and assemble a basic 2.1 system with nice floor standing speakers and receiver for under 300 quid?

I had a quick scan of marketplace and eBay and I'm already lost; other than the fact stuff is available.

What are thoughts for secondhand bargains and what I should be searching for? I presume HC is distinct from HiFi and I get the sense a lot of my results are hifi ATM.

Basically watch James Bond movies and a few other cult classics. Not trying to push my boundaries in immersiveness; just good quality sound. I'm happy with a Sonos beam and sub in the living room but that was 800 quid brought new over 5 years.

Thanks

Hi folks,

I have limited budget but a decent space to progressively add to. Inspired by the hc Vs. Sonos I'm tempted to try and assemble a basic 2.1 system with nice floor standing speakers and receiver for under 300 quid?

I had a quick scan of marketplace and eBay and I'm already lost; other than the fact stuff is available.

What are thoughts for secondhand bargains and what I should be searching for? I presume HC is distinct from HiFi and I get the sense a lot of my results are hifi ATM.

Basically watch James Bond movies and a few other cult classics. Not trying to push my boundaries in immersiveness; just good quality sound. I'm happy with a Sonos beam and sub in the living room but that was 800 quid brought new over 5 years.

Thanks

That is a really tight budget, just asking too much tbh. I wouldn't get floorstanders on that budget, go standmounts.

Something like Whafedale Diamond 9.1, and a older AVR 1080p (as long as you're aware of the issues, bypass the AVR for video, use the AVR for audio decoding) that can work well enough for large saving)

action site number

two examples, so doable for your budget, add some speakers stands, cable etc

Just be aware of 1080p only routing etc but if you have a BD player that has dual HDMI out, you could use 4K HDMI out to TV, and second HDMI out to AVR. Bit of a work around but that will work, and save you money on a older 1080p AVR.

Don't get older AVR if you plan on multiple 4K sources, but for one it's workable

Really? Best sticking with Sonos then?

Nah. It's doable. Those two, plus add Whafedale SW-150 that's another £100, so just about possible on your budget.

for 4K AVR you're looking for a bit more, that's more recent. ie

Bit risky buying second hand AVR also unless you buy one from a friend or someone reputable on avforums etc, generally they're reliable but if it does go faulty it wouldn't be economical to repair

Back
Top Bottom