Home Lab Threadripper Build Thread.

Man of Honour
OP
Right we will have plenty of updates later today lads, we are built, looking awesome and are completely stable. Currently running just windows on nvme. TR Base closk set at 3.7 (two cores still seem to boost to 4+), ram currently at 3066. Pics and some details to come today. FWIW Threadripper is an absolute monster!

Man of Honour
OP
native windows atm. Im building parts at a time so windows first and getting it dialled in. At current settings it does the Ryzen Blender job in just over 11 seconds.

This is a 3.7 base with 4.05 boost on 2 cores. voltages somewhere around 1.4 and temps are really nice still. Maxing out at around 65 under load. Memory at 3066 atm but this was with only about an hour worth of tweeking

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Right time to update with a few pics of the build, right now I am only running with the NVME drive:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I've hooked up an 8tb Seagate ST8000AS0002 and have transferred a couple of old 1tb mechanicals out of my old machine and in the process broke an SSD that made up part of my old raid 0 array.

The current drive config which I will change again once i've transferred some stuff around is:

Samsung pro 256 nvme
1x 8tb Seagate ST8000AS0002
2x Samsung Spinpoint F1's 1tb
1x Kingston V300 120 SSD

4x1tb's In the Netgear ReadyNas p400

The final one will be roughly the same removing the v300 120 and adding 3x Hypertech Firestorm 240's plus a further mixed Kingston v300 480 & Crucial M500 480 raid 0 array. I'm going to have to design and 3D print a little cradle that can sit in the bottom of the case to house the extra ssd's but that should give me roughly 14tb's of accessible drive space to play with but with varying performance so ill have to work out what will work best on what storage in terms of exposing storage to esxi.

Man of Honour
OP
nice looking rig mate.... its nice to see threadripper builds so quickly

I'm not so sure about quickly i'm still trying to dial in the memory and cpu. I would love to see 4ghz all cores and memory up at 3200+ with tight timings but I am not sure how achievable that is with what I have. There are so many options for clocking and tuning that im struggling with what does what. The last time I really overclocked anything was about 6 or 7 years ago when I was setting up my old rig so its a bit of a learning curve to be honest, I might have a look over some of the ryzen threads and see what people are doing with the 1700 chips. I sat there randomly poking it and staring at bios screen until about 2am last night so have decided to just stick with a nice stable middle ground for now.

Tomorrow I think ill start seeing how it like esxi :)

Man of Honour
OP
I properly broke it last night while tweeking (read poking about in bios without a clue). Enough that I nuked windows good and proper so today I'm back on windows duty.

Edit: Windows all built again and the majority of software installed. Decided to clone windows onto that spare v300 ssd just in case I manage to break it all again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Vince, gave up waiting on the Aorus X399 then?

I did mate, got bored of waiting for the Aorus and to be fair would have preferred the taichi from the beginning.

Back to the build, perhaps unsurprisingly I'm having some esxi issues, I got around my first load as fast boot was causing problems but now I have an all new issue. When loading esxi the system seems to hang here:

I've tried disabling all the sata ports on the board and as many other built in devices as I can but as yet no luck. I gave up late into the night and decided that this is one to troubleshoot this evening if anybody has any advice or ideas. For now I have workstation 12 pro which isn't really the ideal but will do while I work out what's causing this issue.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
This might not be of any use but I had a massive numbers of problems with the native AHCI drivers in version ESXi 6.5.0 on a HP Microserver. Apparently these are fixed in 6.5.1, http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2017...ance-issue-resolved-in-esxi-6-5-update-1.html. Of course, it could be a different issue as the X399 boards are so new.

Cheers for this. I checked and I am running 6.5u1.

The file name/build details are as follows: VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0.update01-5969303.x86_64.iso
Sadly this is the same build number as above. On top of this I tried the "Driver Rollup Iso" : VMware-ESXi-6.5U1-RollupISO.iso - Again this fella hangs at the same point. I'm wondering if its getting past the AHCI or not, not sure quite how to troubleshoot this one but steps tonight are going to be:

- Disable USB3
- Disable what network adapters I can
- Build my own iso with drivers injected.

Basically all I can think of is poking it till it works. It's clear there is something it doesn't like now I need to find out what. The biggest problem I have is the lack of relevant information out there. Googling threadripper and ESXI as you can imagine doesn't return that many results.

Back
Top Bottom