Home Lab Threadripper Build Thread.

Associate
Hi guys!

2990wx+Taichi X399(BIOS:3.3) with ESXi 6.7 goes well!

Taichi have 2 * Intel i211 Gigabit. But i can only find one. Do you get this situation?

I have tried to replace the driver with this version (https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/Net-igb). The problem is still there.

ivolng.png

Associate
Hi iceking

i was surfing the web and i foud other people with ALMOST the same problem ...
They say (in others mobos as well )but with dual NIC embedded also, they found only one of them.
a mix beetwen i211 and i218 etc...

So im just guessing is that posible esxi take one of NIC and the remaining shows you as only elegible for passtrough?

remember esxi will not install if dont found at least one compatible NIC

could you confirm if you had any kind of problems passing the wifi, USB drivers etc

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I was shopping online for PC parts yesaterday and saw a threadripper for £1500.00!!! That's a significant amount of money for an AMD CPU

????

It's good value when you compare it to equivalent Intel parts. £1500 for a 32 core AMD HEDT chip vs £2250 for an 18 core Intel HEDT chip.

ZMjriJK.png

Associate
Just a quick PSA for those who are using the ASUS PRIME X399-A motherboards - update your BIOS! I previously already updated to the latest BIOS back then last year, but it was still giving me problems in passthrough and the likes. I just updated to the latest BIOS (Version 0808, released 2018/10/17) and it resolved many bugs without even any troubleshooting involved!

Associate
I think I've lost or never had the vertical m.2 bracket on my Asus prime X399, anybody willing to sell theirs? Asus is not interested in helping me.

Soldato
I think I've lost or never had the vertical m.2 bracket on my Asus prime X399, anybody willing to sell theirs? Asus is not interested in helping me.

You could probably just make one as it doesn’t really do much... Also would speculate it isn’t really needed to hold the drive in securely as it’s a reasonable fit anyway. Annoying though, they don’t really help with much!

Man of Honour
OP
I thought about that. Not the best option, so I'm looking at what I can find first.

Somebody should be able to 3d print one, this is the same part that didn't come in my 399 prime. Asus were totally usless. I got one on eBay in the end and now no longer own the board as I gave it to a friend and went back to the Taichi.

Associate
Does anybody here has NVMe or optane SSD plugged in the prime x399 board? With one SSD I had the HDD LED blinking constantly and now with 2 the HDD LED is always at ON, pretty much useless now.

Soldato
Does anybody here has NVMe or optane SSD plugged in the prime x399 board? With one SSD I had the HDD LED blinking constantly and now with 2 the HDD LED is always at ON, pretty much useless now.

I've got one M2 NVME on the motherboard in the vertical M2 slot and do not have this issue when using a 900p at the same time on the U2 connector.

Also have 2 M2 NVME in a PCIE slot - they don't effect the HDD activity LED at all.

Associate
I've got one M2 NVME on the motherboard in the vertical M2 slot and do not have this issue when using a 900p at the same time on the U2 connector.

Also have 2 M2 NVME in a PCIE slot - they don't effect the HDD activity LED at all.

Strange, I'll check what I can find that could cause that in UEFI

Associate
At work my boss decided to increase the capacity of the server by adding another 64GB of RAM (total 128). Now we can't boot with RAM at 3200, it reverts back to 2133 MHz. This is GSkill 3200 MHz CL14 F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ. In order to be able to run at 3200, we need to set the EFI to be D.O.C.P. It's working fine with 64 or 96GB (and it's also fine at home with my 32GB kit same model).

I tried to increase the cas latency to 16 in manual mode, no good. We've left the D.O.C.P. activated but set the target frequency at 3066 MHz, now it works. I suppose it's running at cas latency 14, but I don't know how to confirm that in ESXI. I've read a few things on google but it's not that clear.

Man of Honour
OP
At work my boss decided to increase the capacity of the server by adding another 64GB of RAM (total 128). Now we can't boot with RAM at 3200, it reverts back to 2133 MHz. This is GSkill 3200 MHz CL14 F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ. In order to be able to run at 3200, we need to set the EFI to be D.O.C.P. It's working fine with 64 or 96GB (and it's also fine at home with my 32GB kit same model).

I tried to increase the cas latency to 16 in manual mode, no good. We've left the D.O.C.P. activated but set the target frequency at 3066 MHz, now it works. I suppose it's running at cas latency 14, but I don't know how to confirm that in ESXI. I've read a few things on google but it's not that clear.

128gb @ 3200 is too much for the imc to take. Remember TR as you up the capacity and banks consumed, that it only properly supports 2133. Read your motherboard manual, mine makes it quite clear on limitations when all banks are filled. I can get all banks running at 2933 but much more than that and it doesn't like it. Reduce the capacity and more is achievable.

Associate
Lads, Did you try to get working 10Gbit LAN on your ESXi Threadripper? I Purchased ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming and had similar Raid issues (haven't got time to resolve it yet) but on top of this I found out that my 10Gbit card (Aquantia 10GBASE-T chip, the AQC107) is not working either. Other 2 intel NICs are detected ok.

Back
Top Bottom