Home network problems.

Associate
I'm trying to get a home network running in xp using a route and two pc's. I can see the name of the other computer but when I click on this I get the message. " Computer name is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. " I have file and printer sharing enabled on both pc's. Any ideas.

Associate
the best way i think is to do the following:

1. Go to control panel
2. Network Setup Wizard and follow the on screen instructions
3. insure that you name the network WORKGROUP on all pc's. This can be anything you like as long as its the same on all pc's.
4. Create a folder on each pc named PC 1 Shares, PC 2 Shares, PC 3 shares, these can be named anything you like.
5. Right click each file and share them by doing what i said above ensuring you tick both box's to enable users to edit and access files.
6. Once you have done this open up My Computer
7. Go to tools and Map Network Drive
8. Expand My network Places
9. Expand Entire Network
10. Expand Microsoft Windows Network
11. Expand WORKGROUP or whatever you have called it
12. You should see all your pcs in here
13. Expand each individual one
14. If your on PC 1 select PC 2's shared folder that you created earlier.
15. Click ok and then finish.

You will now see a new drive in My computer this is a shared folder on your other pcs this lets you use and tansfer files between pcs.

You need to do this on all pcs.

this worked for me
dave
:D :D :D :D

Soldato
Im having similar problems at the mo, netowrk will allow them acess to me, but not me to them. Its not a firewall thing either as they are all off. Router hardware only.

Back
Top Bottom