Home network - wired/wireless

Associate
Hi.

Currently about to start a home renovation. Part of this includes a rewire. Ive been asked about my networking. Wireless or Wired. Now ive got a few things which i need to think about, just wondering if some of you helpful people could offer any advice . Things im planning to do (stream HD content from pc upstairs to downstairs tvs)

- Would wireless be up to this (stable enough)?

If wired is a more suitable option
- Cat5e or Cat6 (is cat6 overkill, much difference in price?)

- Was thinking wallsocket of 4 in the major rooms

- Placement of the router and switch and where all the cat cables lead to, i was thinking in the cupboard under the stairs, although was thinking if i did want to use wireless for some things still then wifi signal might be affected?

Theres currently a phone socket in the hallway, would it be worth connecting the router there and then a wire running from that to the switch under the stairs. My heads a bit scrambled on what to do :o

Associate
If you rewiring the house why not add networking? It's always going to be faster more reliable than wireless also more secure as you not beaming data for people listen into.

If no huge difference go with Cat6.

If it was my I would defo get hard wired sockets all through my house.

Associate
To be honest with you, it depends on numerous things.

The size of your house, the size of your budget and what you ideally want to achieve.

In all honesty if your house isn't massive, going down the wireless route will definitely be sufficient for streaming on a LAN, you'd need to invest in a higher grade router and place it centrally but it would cut back on cabling costs(which unless you buy and crimp your own can be quite high) the cost of a switch and the headache of trying to decide the perfect place for the networking points!

If you've got a decently sized house, that's stone or brick, you'll have to go wired.

TL:DR - Wireless, cheap and most probably effective. Wired, more expensive, effective but mostly not needed.

Don
For any media streaming, I'd always advise to use cabled (and not over powerline either)

It's cheaper than spending loads on expensive high performance WLAN gear

Soldato
If you re-wiring the house the additional cost of adding some cat6 shouldn't be all that significant as someone is already ripping up the floor boards and chasing lots of cables and you should definitely do it. I'd put at least one connection in EVERY room as you never know when the use of a room will change or you'll buy a bit of kit you wish you could cable up.

Put everything under the stair and get the BT socket moved their if you can, it shouldn't have a drastic effect on wireless and if it does you can always add an AP to extend your coverage.

Associate
Had the opportunity I would wire up every room.

There's no real benefit getting Cat6 over Cat5e. only real difference is cat6 is 'certified' to run at Gigabit speeds and Cat5e isn't, even though it's fully capable.

Remember to run the network cable away from any power cables to reduce cross talk.

Back
Top Bottom