Home Networking relocation

Associate
A few years ago I wired the upstairs of my house so all bedrooms had two wired connections. In one of the bedrooms, that I use as an office, I had the phone line extended to it so the dsl line / router is plugged in at this point and I also have my office pc and home pc's plugged into this. All has worked well, slight issue with wireless at the extremes of the house but generally all ok.

Now due to health reasons we need to start using my office as a bedroom and therefore need to relocate the office downstairs.

Initially I thought of moving the dsl line back downstairs, but how would I connect my wired network to this?

Next thought, relocate dsl line and wireless into the loft, but will the wireless reach downstairs where I am planning to move my office? Also due to the extremes of temp in the loft would need kit that is robust enough to live here.

Another option is relocate dsl line upstairs and fit an access point in the loft Ubiquiti, would this give me better coverage throughout the house?

What are peoples thoughts, also kit recommendations, as I need to start looking at doing something soon.

regards,

Matt

P.S. I can't really run wires downstairs to the upstairs.

P.P.S. Currently use a Netgear X4S as wireless router.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was the phone extension done using network cable? If not could you not follow the same route with a network cable?

If you installed a network point you wouldn't put it inside the loft. You'd put it on the upstairs ceiling with the wiring in the loft. Depending on the layout of the house, that's often an ideal position.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response.

Phone extensions is just that phone extended using whatever cable is required - there is a phone socket in my office and this connects to DSL.

The Network Access point, mount to upstairs ceiling, then need to run power and ethernet to it, or connect a POE. I'd still need to move the DSL and wireless box somewhere.

What is a good Access Point? Seen the Draytek AP 960, what others are recommended?

regards,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom