Home removal costs

Soldato
We moved from a 2 bed GFF (+ garage) to a 4 bed house in October 2021. Room-Room removals (no packing bar the TV) was just under £1k.

We moved the colossal distance of 700 metres: the opposite side of our local park.

Removals guys said it would have been quicker to skip loading & unloading the lorry and just walking all our stuff straight through the park!

Associate
Interested in the replies too, as will be moving a similar distance (Rugby to Manchester), 3 bed to 4 bed, but got a lot of stuff in the loft & garage... I've been wanting to do it myself (was looking at hiring a 7.5ton van & getting my father, or FIL to drive it (as you need C1 & I passed my test after it changed), and hiring a 3.5 luton for me to drive, pack a load the day before, drive up there & unload the morning of completion, then drive back & load the rest), but the more I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure how much will actually fit, or if it'll need a 3rd trip. It's just really hard to estimate how much van space will be needed, but I've also heard horror stories of how careless some removals guys are & end up getting to the other end with everything broken, or even worse, heard stories of companies holding people's possessions hostage for more money.

Soldato
Interested in the replies too, as will be moving a similar distance (Rugby to Manchester), 3 bed to 4 bed, but got a lot of stuff in the loft & garage... I've been wanting to do it myself (was looking at hiring a 7.5ton van & getting my father, or FIL to drive it (as you need C1 & I passed my test after it changed), and hiring a 3.5 luton for me to drive, pack a load the day before, drive up there & unload the morning of completion, then drive back & load the rest), but the more I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure how much will actually fit, or if it'll need a 3rd trip. It's just really hard to estimate how much van space will be needed, but I've also heard horror stories of how careless some removals guys are & end up getting to the other end with everything broken, or even worse, heard stories of companies holding people's possessions hostage for more money.
Get a reputable, accredited firm - they'll be insured for damage. You'll pay a lot more than a Man'n'Van service, but you'll have to decide if the peace of mind is worth it.

We used a cheap Man&Van (and his Ketamine Monkey) service the previous time we moved (in 2014) and ended up with a dented stainless steel fridge freezer that died within weeks (we were assured it had been transported upright. It clearly wasn't) and two enormous scratches on the lounge TV, from the zippers on our sofa cushions they'd used "to protect it"...

They laughed when I asked if they had any liability cover and I kicked myself for not setting up a contents policy when we got the keys (decent firms such as Zurich, M&S etc may offer temporary insurance cover for the move, treating everything as Personal Possessions. Worth looking into)

Associate
I used to run a man and a van service, everything was fully insured and we definitely were better than a large removal firm we have just used to move. I used to put carpet protection down, blankets around everything too so they are out there, just don’t go cheapest.

img

img

Associate
seems good cost compared to what i had if including packing. My cost was more and only 10 minute drive for 5 bed house.

Associate
I moved myself from a 4 bed in Worcestershire to Plymouth. Packed, loaded and drove a 7.5t truck down and back before heading back down with 2nd load in a LWB high-top transit. 3rd load was in my car. Hard work but even with hire costs and diesel I saved £££.

Soldato
This is excellently timed for me as I was just beginning to look into this for our first house purchase (hopefully happening soon). When they say packing, are they gonna put all ourstuff in boxes (which sounds like it'd take forever) or they mean they'll put the boxes in the van (because that kinda sounds like what I would expect to be part of the deal).

Back
Top Bottom