Home server, a little brainpicking

Soldato
Slightly random this, but I'd like to do a little brainpicking on the current state of my home server. At present it's this:
Athlon 64 3100+ (754) in an Epox motherboard.
756mb RAM
4.5tb of various disks. (2x 1TBs in LVM, 2x single 500gbs, 1x single 750gb, 1x single 400gb 1x 160gb & 1x single 20gb (Root/ swap))
Ubuntu server

For the most part filesystem wise I'm using ext3, except for the 400gb, which I've formatted in XFS as a test.
This server basically runs everything and anything (Emule, torrents, PHP testbed, backups for desktops), and hardware wise it seems to be keeping up just fine, other than the perennial lack of disk space :D

Few odd queries-
1. I've never had any issues with LVM (The current one replaced 3x 160gbs a little while back), and I'm seriously considering consolidating *all* my drives into the single LVM. My main issue with this is the prospect of total data loss if I loose a single drive- Most of my unimportant stuff isn't backed up, and I simply can't afford the drives for a decent amount of redundancy when this is only films and similar stuff. Thoughts on the way forward here?
2. 2TB is the biggest partition I've created to date. While I'm not quite at the limits, I'm nearing the capabilities of ext3, and I'm wondering which approach I should be taking with regards to partitioning. As above everything lumped into one is an attractive idea, but I'm very wary.
3. I keep considering reinstalling totally (Also with Mandriva, not Ubuntu). This install is well over 4 years old, and the sheer amount of customisation I've done stops me.

Any comments on the current state of affairs and my queries above is most welcome :)

-Leezer-

Soldato
1. Doesn't sound like a great idea.
2. Hmm... ZFS?
3. It's Linux/Solaris; it'll be fun (and frustrating at times :D)

Associate
I'm doing something similar with one of my machines. I had been considering Ubuntu or Debian, but I've decided to go for OpenSolaris or Solaris 10 and use ZFS. You can very easily create drive pools in ZFS which you can grow and they have RAID-like redundancy built-in. This is quite a useful little guide that helped me out.

One particularly neat feature of ZFS is built-in snapshots - a bit like Time Machine in OS X. Quite amazing. Ubuntu will be superb when it/if it gets ZFS...

Back
Top Bottom