Home Server Project : Multi TV + Multi PC + NAS = Help

Associate
Hello Overclockers!

Looking for some professional support with a Home Server / Network build....system is as follows :

Setup :
  • 1 x Gaming PC Office
  • 1 x Sony Smart TV Office
  • 1 x Drobo 5D (USB - no Ethernet) with 24 TB Media connected to Gaming PC Office
  • 1 x Sony Smart TV Living Room
  • 1 x Samsung Tablet S2 Mobile Device
  • 1 x Asus Router Living Room
I currently don't have a dedicated Server PC

What I Want :

• I want to be able to watch stored content across all devices. I'll probably use PLEX or similar software to achieve this.
  • I do not require to be able to access my content from outside my house.
  • I want to be able to upload new content from the Gaming PC to the server.
  • Minimal cabling

Help Needed :

1. Do I need a dedicated Server PC? If not, would one be recommended ?
  2. What other Hardware / Software do I need ?
  3. Can I keep the media stored on the Drobo ?
  4. Can I achieve Netflix like streaming via Wi-Fi ?
  5. Would you recommend PLEX or another software ?
Thanks In Advance!

Soldato
1. If you leave your gaming PC on 24/7 it effectively will act as your server so no it is not necessary.
2. Plex is a good solution here. There's other things like serviio or Emby but I find Plex easy and has clients for everything
3. Yes. Even if you don't want your gaming PC on 24/7 you could get a power efficient micro PC with the drobo plugged into it.
4. Yes. If you use Plex there's clients for nearly everything. Start watching on your phone and then pause and resume on your laptop in bed for example
5. Personally if you can re-use the disks outside of the Drobo enclosure I'd personally build an Unraid server and put a Plex docker on it then sell the Drobo chassis. However you can do everything you want right now with the kit you have. The only downside might be the amount of power the gaming PC consumes 24/7

Soldato
Help Needed :
  2. What other Hardware / Software do I need ?
  3. Can I keep the media stored on the Drobo ?
  5. Would you recommend PLEX or another software ?
Thanks In Advance!

1) Probably not "needed" as such but dedicated hardware to act as a server is well worth it, your PC will be Windows based (so it will break) and if you are doing something CPU heavy and someone else in the house calls on it then one of you will be very angry. Split it out as much as you can. Just makes sense to have a couple of masters instead of a single jack of all trades.
2) A NAS would probably do fine, if you need some transcoding grunt then look at a smaller DIY server with an older i7 in it for some real horse power. I personally would advise AWAY from unRAID as much as it's easy to use and set up (I have a machine using it but I'm not blown away by it, granted I don't use dockers or VM's with it though), life is so much easier in a bare metal ubuntu server setup (for me anyway).
3) Probably, no reason why not.
4) This depends on your internal network, again there is no reason not to if it is using the "right" kit. On the LAN you will probably exceed your Netflix expectations.
5) Plex, absolutely and spend on a Plex Pass as well (they come on offer now and again for £70 for life!).

Associate
OP
Hello Gents,

Thanks a lot for the responses, very helpful. I've got some follow up queries!

Seems a proper NAS plugged into a Router would suffice but I love the idea of a second PC in the house; even if it is absolutely unnecessary. Will look into some machines. Might even water cool it :)

2. What other Hardware / Software do I Need ?

Despite being an OG Hard line water cooler ; I've never actually setup a proper Server.
  • Would I need the Server version of Windows 10 ?
  • How would I actually go about creating the server ? Take it there is a "Server / Network Wizard" inside Windows, but are there better third party programs?
  • In terms of dropping new files into the server (from the Gaming PC) - I take it I'd just "share" the contents of the server PC which would facilitate the drag and drop media feature.
3. Can I Keep The Media Stored on the Drobo ?

Drobo's use a specific file storage type that makes the data stored on the Drobo drives unusable on any other system.
  • Will accessing Media from the Drobo (while it is connected via USB 3.0 to the Server PC) be slower than accessing it directly from an internal RAID?
If streaming the files from the PC directly is faster; I can manually offload my Drobo storage to internal PC drives and lose the Drobo.

I think I'll stay Wi-Fi until my setup is done then evaluate speeds. I have a solid 1Gbps connection here in Singapore but 2Gbps is optional and relatively cheap.

If I am completely unsatisfied with performance, I'll have to go via the LAN Route.
  • If I eventually decided to go the Wired LAN route, would I need any other hardware? Lan Controller maybe?
4. Would you recommend PLEX or another software?

I currently run KODI and one of it's UI's on my gaming PC and I do like the software. It doesnt seem to have the same flexibility as PLEX - In terms of server side / client side versions - plus as mentioned by @Steveocee - I'll definately look at the Plex Pass as a viable option.

Thanks Again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom