Homehub Replacement Advice

JLJ

JLJ

Associate
I guess the question was more, if I wanted to get a modem for a BT infinity 1 connection to work with a RT-AC56U router, would the HG612 3B refurbed units selling on ebay for £11 be suitable.
My connection seems to have random disconnections in the afternoon, no faults in the area, no line faults, and then it just recovers.
Last engineer visit revealed nothing, so I already have this router, why not try hooking it up to the modem.
Is that enough info for advise?

Soldato
Yes those modems will do what you want.

I don't know why they'd be described as refurbished rather than used/second hand (unless wiping them with a damp cloth counts as refurbishment).

Soldato
Do yourself a favour and investigate why your connection drops before going further, as soon as you tell BT they can’t use the inbuilt diagnostics on the HH, you’re in effect giving them an easy out on dealing with the fault - they just blame you/your set-up/your 3rd party equipment (I know, it has BTO branding) and insist you plug the HH back in, it then has no logs, passes a self diagnostic and the fault gets closed.

If the issue has continued post initial tech visit, why wouldn’t you call back and report it? Get another tech out, get them to swap the HH. It took three visits before I got a re-pull on one of my lines, the third tech actually asked if he could take photo’s as it was an install that was older than him, 2 previous techs hadn’t bothered.

JLJ

JLJ

Associate
The problem isnt frequent enough to make me have to deal with the BT customer service. I also want to try out running VPN on the router.
But thanks for the heads up in regards to 3rd party hardware, I will ensure that in the event of further issues, I reconnect the HH6 before contacting support

Back
Top Bottom