Honest critique of this video for my blog...

Soldato
Hi folks, I'm looking for some feedback regarding this video I made with the intention of putting it on my blog. The idea was to do a video so people could get an idea of what I'm like, and also to deal with a common issue about insecurity I often run into.

The only problem is, I seem to have a really hard time being natural in front of a camera as it just feels like I'm talking to myself, which in itself feels weird.
You may have noticed recently, that I've posted a few crappy videos with myself in. What I have been doing is practicing talking to an inanimate object (camera), and trying to desensitise myself to that 'weird' feeling.

Associate
Congrats for having the balls to post this for critique.

My main problem with the video is its bit too long, and the sound is bit weird, almost mono in the beginning and half way through it becomes stereo.

As for the contents of the video, I don't think you should try and teach the viewer why a photo works because of XYZ. I think you should talk about your style of photography, why and how you captured certain shots (with photo example) and how you can go about working with your clients.

My advise would be to script it first, and be straight to the point and professional rather then using phrases like "I don't know", "I think", "I hope", "rambling" etc.

I hope it helps.

Soldato
As above, audio changes considerably at 2m20s, and it's far too long.

Also you can't talk 'normally' to camera. We're so used to seeing actors, professional presenters etc on TV and if you saw them in real life they'd seem like they're on crack. You have to really act up and be larger than life to then appear normal on video.

Soldato
OP
As above, audio changes considerably at 2m20s, and it's far too long.

Also you can't talk 'normally' to camera. We're so used to seeing actors, professional presenters etc on TV and if you saw them in real life they'd seem like they're on crack. You have to really act up and be larger than life to then appear normal on video.

Yeh someone has mentioned that to me. It's just the last thing I want to do is act. as I'm rubbish at it. The whole idea was to be authentic. I guess I might just have to ditch this video idea altogether tbh.

oio

oio

Associate
Have you tried employing a human sitting behind the camera, so that you can get used to talking through it rather than at it? (Caveat: I can't see the vid, so apologies if it's not relevant)

Back
Top Bottom