Honeywell to Hive Thermostat swap, running 2 types of Thermostat?

Soldato
Good evening ya'll.

I'm considering a Hive Thermostat setup for our 3 Storey house.

In Walton Home infinite wisdom, they have installed 2 Honeywell Thermostats. One that literally controls the living room and the other than controls the rest of the house.

My question is, when the Hive Hub is installed, does it mean you have to disconnect both of the Thermostats? by that I mean.. can you run 2 different kinds of Thermostats off one boiler? we just want a better Thermostat off for the rest of the house as to be blunt, the Honeywell ones are pretty awful! From my Limited knowledge they connect to the HVAC unit on the Boiler? does the Hub take the place of this and have to be completely disconnected?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you know what type of CH and DHW system you have?

Honeywell wiring is fairly standard stuff, but they don't use the same backplate design as the Hive system, so a bit of backplate swapping/wiring is required.

You can have a main 2ch Hive running the CH and DHW, then I believe you can have a slave Hive stat controlling the 'other' zone.

A local installer should be able to assess your system then give you your options :)

Soldato
Is it honestly one thermostat for the living room and one for the rest of the house? Or is it a two zone system? Either way - as above, should be pretty easy to add the relevant thermostat(s) as needed. You can surely just bridge the inputs for each zone if that's what you want.

Associate
FlyingFish is right. Hive can manage 3 zones in total.
The bit you (or an installer) will need to figure out is how your current setup works.
For example, you need to figure out if your system has a zone valve, with a true separate zone.

But long story short - you will be able to get Hive working without too much faff.

Soldato
OP
Do you know what type of CH and DHW system you have?

Honeywell wiring is fairly standard stuff, but they don't use the same backplate design as the Hive system, so a bit of backplate swapping/wiring is required.

You can have a main 2ch Hive running the CH and DHW, then I believe you can have a slave Hive stat controlling the 'other' zone.

A local installer should be able to assess your system then give you your options :)

It's on an ideal Gas Combi Boiler so it's a Gas CH and Water is done there and then on the boiler.

Soldato
You'll have 2 motorized valves, hopefully together, and hopefully not far from the boiler (although that's not too important).

2x Combi Hive thermostats can control your 2 zones. Each receiver will need wiring into the wiring center for the zone valves, to do the job of the wires from the existing stats. The Hive receivers can also be powered from the same circuit that powers the valves.
The existing stats and wires need to be made safe.
And good luck running a Hive thermostat across a 3 storey property, as their wireless range is miserable, being only powered by 4x AA batteries. So be prepared to go shopping for a signal booster. :D

Soldato
OP
You'll have 2 motorized valves, hopefully together, and hopefully not far from the boiler (although that's not too important).

2x Combi Hive thermostats can control your 2 zones. Each receiver will need wiring into the wiring center for the zone valves, to do the job of the wires from the existing stats. The Hive receivers can also be powered from the same circuit that powers the valves.
The existing stats and wires need to be made safe.
And good luck running a Hive thermostat across a 3 storey property, as their wireless range is miserable, being only powered by 4x AA batteries. So be prepared to go shopping for a signal booster. :D
Luckily both stats are downstairs and less than 4 or 5m from the Boiler

Appreciate it. I've got one with a hub on order with option of getting a second unit if needed.

Gonna get it assessed shortly!

Back
Top Bottom