Hot and then cold shower; faulty thermostatic valve?

Permabanned
Hi,
I have a shower that runs from a combi boiler. It more often than not turns cold and is a real pain in the backside.
The shower is only 6 months old and it held a steady temperature at first but recently it's started turning cold...stays cold for a bit, heats up, turns cold....on and on. It's even turned itself off a few times.

I thought it maybe that the thermostatic valve was kicking in too aggressively as the warmer weather means that the shower receives hotter water, so I turned the water temp down on the boiler itself but it made no difference.

Really starting to tear my hair out now. It's a having an impact as it means a quick shower in the morning before work turns into a stand there like a plum waiting on the shower to go hot again and stay hot long enough farce! I'm having to get up a good bit earlier.

Any suggestions anyone?

Soldato
Had the same thing with my shower, I took out the thermostatic valve and gave it a really good clean through as it was full of crud. I was expecting it to need replacing but I put it back in and its been fine since.

It's worth checking any filters on the tap connectors as they get gummed up to

Permabanned
OP
Well I managed to have a shower last night with no fluctuation.
I wouldn't tempt fate saying it's fixed just yet but, it's a start.

Basically I had to "reboot" the showers control unit. It's a digital shower. I had to turn off power to the spur the unit is wired in to. I had tried tripping the whole electricity but that apparently makes the unit just save it's settings as it thinks there's a power cut.
So one reboot later and we shall see how it goes.

Soldato
exactly the same here recently.

CH working fine and hot. All hot taps working hot.

Triton HP Shower from combi boiler. going hot and cold. At times not even turning boiler on when demanding hot water.

Changed thermostatic cartridge on shower £114. Spot on now.

Back
Top Bottom