House Alarm

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm purchasing a new build and bizarrely a home alarm wasn't included in the spec, didn't even think to ask them to chuck it in and we're too far down the line to back track.

Not the end of the world as they're not that expensive and I imagine what they would have supplied would be pretty basic.

It's got wiring all in place though for sensors and the keypad along with the main control box in the downstairs toilet however a lot are now wireless I imagine anyway.

What alarm would you be looking at? I'd like a smart one in the sense that I can use an app to check on it etc. Any particular brands to look for? I've seen some can also incorporate cameras too, but that might be a bit overkill.

Cheers

I fitted the Yale smart phone alarm to my place. Soon adds up with costs for door/window contacts though.

I know there used to an alarm thread on here, also believe there maybe a couple of fitters who could offer better advice, I would suggest hard wired if you can go down that route though. Wireless can be a pain in the butt for batteries.

Yer I've been looking at the Yale systems and they look good. Think I'd stay away from the camera's though as review say they're a bit ****.

All the wiring is in so hard wired would be fine but most seem to be wireless now by the looks of things.

Looking at Texecoms too from one of the other threads.

Last edited:
Texecom house alarm with dialler, which literally calls and texts within seconds of going off.

Hikvision CCTV, I still prefer the analogue systems for ease of setup and don't mind running BNC cabling. Decent 2mp dome/bullet cams are £40-£50 each off ebay, Hikvision turbo DVR £80, 1tb Purple WD HDD £50

Alarm goes off, check remote cams on phone :D

Texecom house alarm with dialler, which literally calls and texts within seconds of going off.

Hikvision CCTV, I still prefer the analogue systems for ease of setup and don't mind running BNC cabling. Decent 2mp dome/bullet cams are £40-£50 each off ebay, Hikvision turbo DVR £80, 1tb Purple WD HDD £50

Alarm goes off, check remote cams on phone :D

I've been looking into Hikvision and am unsure what to make of it, for example, from an Amazon review:

Can't quite seem to figure out as some reviews say they're fantastic?!

What kind of price can one expect for a whole Texecom alarm system?

As far as the alarm system is concerned you could look into a Pyronix Enforcer, is a wireless system so setting up PIRs, door contacts etc is a piece of cake. It has its own phone app so you know what is going on with it. It also has the ability to use your phone line to send alarm messages, you could also pay a fee a year and have your system monitored, so you could be informed if they unit goes into "fail", for instance it losing power for a certain amount of time. You would have the option to use GPRS or LAN/WiFi as well. Like someone else said, Texecom Premier systems are great. Obviously the kind of system you get will depend on who installs it I guess too?

I've always had Scantronic alarm systems fitted. They are a professional kit, operating at 868Mhz, so less chance of interference. They are not DIY though (although a competent DIYer could fit one). The wireless sensors have very good range and take lithium ion batteries so usually require replacing every 1-2 years.

I'd recommend fitting a system which you can rely on. If it constantly gives false alarms or fails to work, you'll not bother turning it on. I'd also make the control panels and bells hard wired, and then sensors can be wireless.

The hikvision cctv kit is very good and especially easy to DIY if you use the PoE cameras. Just a single cat5e cable to each camera from a centralised NVR (or a PoE switch). Personally, I don't think the cctv is anything but a deterrent. Very easy for someone to conceal their face in front of the cameras. I'd much rather have an alarm system fitted if I had to choose between the two.

"Use wired where you can, use wireless where you have to"

Wireless generally adds extra costs per device and brings with it some possible communication/interference issues that wired doesn't have. This goes for everything.... intruder alarms, fire alarms, smoke detectors, computer networking, thermostats. Wireless is never as good as wired.

i already have an alarm. i want to add a dialer which works off a sim card. is this possible? i don't have a home phone.

basically if the alarm goes off. i want it to send me plus say another 2-3 numbers a text or call us.

For the a Texecom Premier Elite 24, which would absolutely fine for a residential property would probably be in the range of £200-£250

How hard is it to fit one? Looking at the moment and can get TEXECOM RICOCHET PREMIER ELITE 48 for £272.

It sounds like the control box is all hard wired for power, and then the wireless extender makes it "wireless"?

i already have an alarm. i want to add a dialer which works off a sim card. is this possible? i don't have a home phone.

basically if the alarm goes off. i want it to send me plus say another 2-3 numbers a text or call us.

It depends on the panel that you have, there are a number of companies that have GSM diallers that can do this so best find out the make and model of the panel. There is also the option of adding a communicator separately. I work for a company that makes these products as well as some modules that connect into a couple of other panels. Also something you could look into, depending on your needs and if you want the system to be monitored, or "self monitored", there is stuff available.

Back
Top Bottom