How best to deal with 8-10 POE IP Cameras / Blueiris?

Soldato
Hey folks, we are looking to help a local business out, their guy they used in the past has vanished / doesn't seem interested in their calls/business anymore and their CCTV is aging/problematic.

They already have 8-10 (let's say 10) IP Cameras in place, in a POE setup, so a single ethernet cable going to each IP Cam.
Problem is, they are a mix of different D-Link cameras (DCS-2210L / DCS-4602EV) and one of the main ones they need has stopped recording audio. We replaced it with a H.Link HV-500G2 POE cam, and it was a case of swapping it over, assigning IP to it, and it looks great! Downside? We can't record with it as It can't see the DNR-322L!

They have a D-Link DNR-322L which is awful, so what I want to do is basically, take that out, and replace it with something I can simply connect the existing POE switch to, and load all the cameras on to, and have them be able to be recording / have remote access with apps etc.

I have googled and seen Blue Iris mentioned a lot, but wondered, is that a good solution for the above? Would it be a case of getting a small desktop PC or a Synology Box (maybe a DS218J) and installing Blue Iris on it, and everything I need can be done like that?

They do not need a monitor connected to it, it can literally be a box stuck up on a shelf, as that is all they have right now. Would appreciate any advice on whether it's a good idea, does Blue Iris cover all those cameras with one license? And whether to get a Synology or a desktop PC, many thanks :)

Soldato
OP
From a quick google, I've watched a youtube vid of its setup, and there is a comment made that the DNR-322L will only work with D-link cameras. You've potentially added an incompatable camera to what reads as though was a working ( for the most part ) system.

Not be easier and quicker and cheaper just getting a compatable camera ?

Basically this is correct, the DNR-322L has an awful interface, the software works only in IE (not even Edge) and is buggy at best, it seems the support for D-Link stuff goes out of date very quickly. I do appreciate the easier option is to swap out so i'll probably do that first, and then give them the option later down the line for a 'full revamp' so to speak using Blue Iris.
Appreciate it guys! :D

Soldato
OP
Actually...In fairness, there are no cameras available anymore! Let's give me some benefit of the doubt maybe I had already checked :D haha! The DCS-2210L is what I need, as it needs to be indoor POE and be able to hear audio - I have managed to track one second hand but not ideal to do that but cannot find any other camera D-Link do for indoor that captures audio, cannot believe a company like D-Link has such poor support / product availability!

Back
Top Bottom