How can I create an image of a Raspberry Pi SD card without removing it?

Permabanned
On my Windows 7 machines it's trivial to image a drive without stopping the OS let alone removing the drive. Can this be done on a Raspberry Pi 4 without shutting the OS down and removing the SD card for external copying? Thanks. As a matter of interest, what about on Linux "proper"?

Permabanned
OP
Thank you Feek, it looks a bit daunting, I was hoping for the Linux equivalent of Macrium Reflect. Not your fault of course and I appreciate the link, but just WHY is so much in Linux harder to use, more obtuse and a less polished interface than with popular Windows applications? It'll never become truly mainstream unless the workings are totally divorced from the disinterested end user and the interface is simple, friendly and easily manipulated. Every couple of years I try a Linux distribution and always come away wondering why things are so obtuse, with oddball naming conventions, and a needless excess of distributions with seemingly actually trivial, but nonetheless confusing differences.

Thanks again :)

Soldato
It’s because you’re not used to Linux. I had a look at raspiBackup and despite being a relative novice with Linux, I didn’t see anything difficult about the installation or using it.

Associate
but just WHY is so much in Linux harder to use, more obtuse and a less polished interface than with popular Windows applications?
Keep in mind I wrote raspiBackup initially in my spare time to backup my Raspberries and later on thought it would be a nice tool for the community. And keep in mind: It's for free ;)

I created the raspiBackup installer primarily for users like you - who are not that familiar with Linux - to make the installation and initial configuration of raspiBackup as easy as possible for Raspberry users primarily working on Windows.

If you face any issues or have any questions just use any documented communication channels or this thread :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom