How can i move an Hdd with win7 on it to new pc please ?

Associate
hi,

i think i remember this being possible but im not sure how to put my current hard drive with my windows 7 64b already on there into a new pc as its just wont boot, please if someone can let me know how this can be done that would be amazing :)

thanks

Soldato
Wouldn't think this is possible unless your new pc had exactly the same components as your old one, which would be very unlikely. Suspect you would have to clean install windows onto your Hdd on your new pc.

Associate
Usually pc compnents need drivers, as these are usually installed on the hard drive, moving it to a new PC willl break it, as the drivers wont match the hardware.
Most people take a note of the windows key, create a usb install disk, backup the user files and then install on the new device.

Soldato
You will need to set your BIOS to Legacy and not ACHI mode that should allow the drive to boot, get your network card drivers on a USB stick, then just let Windows sort itself out

Soldato
You're much better off doing a clean install. There could be various reasons why it's not booting (eg, new board is in UEFI mode and needs to be set to legacy, SATA mode is different from both boards, driver conflicts, etc).

Soldato
You will need to set your BIOS to Legacy and not ACHI mode that should allow the drive to boot, get your network card drivers on a USB stick, then just let Windows sort itself out

It's better to have them already on the HDD in a separate folder structure (e.g. \Install) so you don't have to worry about USB or chipset drivers.

Associate
Candy crush, Facebook, Disney games, Skype and I am sure there is others

Not on mine, I just have an ISO that I made a while back from the MS website and cant even remember what I picked but I seem to have almost nothing other than the bog standard windows. Yeah I had to stop cortana and edge beause they do my head in, and install classic shell. but thats minimal and its clean and old school :)

Back
Top Bottom