How can I protect someone from support scammers?

Soldato
OP
Setting it up to get a notification would be easy. Getting in contact with them/killing the connection I wouldn't know where to start.

I may actually set it up to SMS me when they attempt to go to one of the RDP websites so I can try calling them on their mobile as house phone would be in use.

A different approach could be having one of their close family members holding the purse strings? (If they have any that can be trusted!)

Then even if they fall for the fake phone call, the scammers are getting diddly squat.

That is a possibility.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
another solution...cheap apple or a linux install?

I think the hassle of teaching them a new OS may be too much.

Edit: Right 283 websites blocked and redirected to a page stating to call me. RDP ports blocked via firewall. CMD, Chrome download (Remote Desktop plugin :(), RDP blocked and all installs require admin privileges via group policy/reg hacky stuff. Router has the top 20 websites blocked as well and password changed.

Not really sure what else I can do at this point bar the suggestions of take away PC or control accounts.

(I had no idea there were so many Remote Desktop programs. Just hope the buggers are too cheap to write their own)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like my mum.

My elderly Mum still complains that her email doesn't work. She's so computer illiterate that she types 'at' instead of using @. Yet she never falls for these scams.

Still, she's had this Microsoft/Windows call loads of times and not once has she taken the bait. She hangs up!

Commissario
Tell them to stop being an idiot and just hang-up the phone the moment Microsoft or Windows is mentioned. It ain't exactly rocket surgery.

Good job on reading the OP there :p.

Last time it happened I just tried to teach them not to trust anyone phoning them but sadly it hasn't worked :(. Now I'm looking for a more techy solution.

What Malevolence said is harsh but accurate. Being blunt, your teaching methods are clearly not up to scratch here.
I applaud you for taking the additional steps but you need to deal with the root cause and help the person who has fallen prey to this scam to understand what the problem is.

Has this person actually lost money or been compromised in some way?

Is it maybe worth printing out a little sticker that says "SAY NO TO MICROSOFT" and sticking it to the phone?
This is a good suggestion as well.

What Malevolence said is harsh but accurate. Being blunt, your teaching methods are clearly not up to scratch here.
I applaud you for taking the additional steps but you need to deal with the root cause and help the person who has fallen prey to this scam to understand what the problem is.

Has this person actually lost money or been compromised in some way?

This is a good suggestion as well.
IMO, it depends how the person is, if it was my dad the only way to stop it would be the OPs way, education would not work :(

Caporegime
Sadly someone I know has been taken by the lovely Microsoft support phone call for the second time.

Last time it happened I just tried to teach them not to trust anyone phoning them but sadly it hasn't worked :(. Now I'm looking for a more techy solution.

So far Ive rebuilt their PC and removed their admin access however this won't stop RDP programs like join.me or them talking the victim through setting up windows RDP. I believe I can remove windows RDP from group policy and could set up firewall blocks on the popular ones like join.me.

I've signed them up to the call blocking feature via talktalk but it seems to do little good.

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to get the money back as they've authorised the payment :(.

Any other advice/ideas?

Sorry, but if they are not savvy enough (for whatever reason though I am hoping it is age and infirmity, otherwise it would just be stupidity) not to know to continue a conversation with an unknown support staff for the SECOND time then you are fighting a losing battle and the best way to protect them is by educating them.

The only technical way I can think of is if you make yourself admin of the PC and lock their account down to an incredibly basic level, and then whenever they need to install or change ANYTHING system-related they have to ask you for an admin password and so you get to make the decisions. Which, obviously, sucks for you.

However, that way they can still use the PC with what is already installed and configured without changing anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree with educating. If they got scammed before and still did it, all it means is that they were not educated properly. Put a sticker on the monitor if it helps.

I am sure it cant be that hard to convince them to not fall for it again, they've been burnt twice already so most of the educating has been done for you!

IMO, it depends how the person is, if it was my dad the only way to stop it would be the OPs way, education would not work :(

Why didnt it work?

Was he incapable of understanding your point or did he just discount the advice?

Soldato
a now retired IT security officer for a government agency I know was present while his friend spend 3 hours on the phone to a cold caller (from Windows) being scammed she paid over £270... He never thought it was odd or it might be a scam

true story

Permabanned
Cold calling companyies should have to make the CEO liable for miss selling. If there is evidence the company should be fined and the CEO put away for a few years.

It's disgusting! Someone must be held accountable for this sort of thing to move forward.

Soldato
Agree with educating. !

I don't know of a lot of old people just get stupid or a lot of people are just stupid anyway..

I tell all my customers "if someone calls and asks you to touch your computer, no matter who they say they are ITS A SCAM, say I know its a scam and hang up"

but the oldsters get the call and they get scammed anyway

Soldato
if they are very very old, as you say :p, then do they really need a PC? they must have spent 90% of there life with out one?, you could take a laptop around with you once or twice a week, and let them use it whilst you are there?

Caporegime
if they are very very old, as you say :p, then do they really need a PC? they must have spent 90% of there life with out one?, you could take a laptop around with you once or twice a week, and let them use it whilst you are there?

Kind of true... they could probably get away with using a decent Chromebook.

Soldato
I don't know of a lot of old people just get stupid or a lot of people are just stupid anyway..

I tell all my customers "if someone calls and asks you to touch your computer, no matter who they say they are ITS A SCAM, say I know its a scam and hang up"

but the oldsters get the call and they get scammed anyway

That's their target audience, if they get an elderly answering the phone then its pot luck and they will role with the scam.

Can't type for toffee
Don
My grandad just received a letter from Barclays today telling him if any fraud is reported and you have given your details over the phone it's "fraud" you will no longer be able to claim the money back and it's your fault for giving them the numbers.

I'm beginning to loose trust in every single company in the world. Makes me think that IT is really a bad thing not a good thing.

Think that probably means "not fraud"

I see it as fair, if someone it that oblivious to just give out DOB, name address, bank details and setup bank transfers because someone on the phone asked them to then why should the bank be held responsible?

Even more so if they've already been warned by a family member and continue to setup random transfers and give out random amounts of money.

Cold calling company's should have to make the CEO liable for miss selling. If there is evidence the company should be fined and the CEO put away for a few years.

It's disgusting! Someone must be held accountable for this sort of thing to move forward.

The commons ones I've encountered are...

We are calling from :
SKY
BT
Windows
Micorsoft
Internet Security

So which CEO is being taken to court/fined in your eyes?

Most of the calls come in from international numbers/witheld numbers and I've even seen ones that appear to be spoofed callier ID's however that works.

Last edited:
Associate
Even though you've blocked everything the way I see this going is the scammer just saying something along the lines of "Wow, it's so bad I can't even get access. I do have a magic cure, it costs £200. What's your bank details?"

It really is a tough situation as I can totally see how it would be hard to teach someone in that position.

Agree with educating. If they got scammed before and still did it, all it means is that they were not educated properly. Put a sticker on the monitor if it helps.

I am sure it cant be that hard to convince them to not fall for it again, they've been burnt twice already so most of the educating has been done for you!

Why didnt it work?

Was he incapable of understanding your point or did he just discount the advice?

hes got dementia, and just wont listen, he cannot get into any issue with the pc though as its not used for anything slightly important and no bank cards to use

Soldato
The basic fact is that Microsoft will NEVER call anyone – how could they when they don’t have their details!

Some old (and young) people really struggle with being forceful and avoid confrontation whenever they can, this is just one way these thieves exploit them.

Ultimately, my advice to any old or infirm person regarding any phone calls, whether from the bank, Microsoft, PPI etc – get them to tell the person on the phone to put it all in writing (but not to give address as they CLEARLY should have this if they know their number!) and immediately put the phone down.

Back
Top Bottom